Acting? Is it impractical?

Really, wondering what kind of a role looks play in acting and whether it's crucial to be very pretty in order to be a successful actress.

I am a 14(very almost 15) year old girl. Auburn eyes, very dark blonde hair. The real hassle is with my height.. I stand at a lanky 6' and so am wondering how immediately this would affect me. I suppose the thing is directors tend to like people that can play roles younger than their age whereas with me it would most definitely be the opposite.

I was also wondering if anyone who is going to or went to NYT (national youth theatre) thinks I should audition for it. My main problem when acting is how awkward I feel in my body movements due to my height (I feel like I have too much limb ..). I just want the honest truth because I probably will go for it if it is what I want to do I just want to 'test the water' if you will before I go any further. I hope someone can answer my questions thank you xx

Just fyi, I assure you I am not a 'fame and glory' type of person. I am well aware of the hard work and effort that goes into being an actor. But of course doesn't everyone want and aspire to be successful in their endeavors? What is the point in dreaming big when you assume all you will ever be able to achieve is a few small budget dingy plays? In addition does the fact that I didn't know what I want to be later in life at the age of 6 thereby cut me off from any future aspirations? I appreciate your answer, I honestly do, however I am inclined to disagree with you on the premise of your notion rather than the conclusion.

Favorite Answer

I would urge you to research the life of Janet McTeer - often cited as one of the best actors of her generation and worked a lot in the late 80s and early 90s - and she was blind in one eye, though no one ever knew. And of course, there's Miranda Hart - not particularly attractive, somewhat shapeless, and very tall.

You do need to come to terms with your physique and how to use it. Training at drama school will help with that enormously. NYT is highly recommended. An excellent starting point for finding out if a career and drama school is for you.

Looks are important, but not necessarily attractive looks. Often, but especially with women, unconventional looks (and talent of course) see the most enduring careers, rather than girls who lose their appeal once they no longer look very young and are "replaced" by other young girls just leaving drama school. Good case in point, very few Bond girls ever go on to have lasting careers. But look at the unconventional looks of Judi Dench, Edith Evans, Maggie Smith, Beryl Reid, Imelda Staunton, Vanessa Redgrave (also tall), Annette Baddley, and many others, all of whose careers have got stronger with age. And of course British soaps don't generally want people who look too good (apart from the odd young character who comes and goes within a few years). They want people who look "natural".

All the best.

• Jean

Might be worth looking at the acting profile of Nicole Kidman. Height doesn't seem to be an issue for her and a number of other famous actresses. Your ability to act is always the main criteria. A lot of male actors are very tall and interestingly a lot of male actors are really short (Tom Cruise anyone?).

There are so many barriers to becoming what you describe as a "successful actor". You need to work out if you actually have talent and potential. That would be the first priority. Go and audition for NYT and (baby steps here) see if you get in. One day at a time - if it's your passion you won't be able to stop yourself auditioning anyway! Self confidence and carrying yourself well are critical here. Self confidence is wildly attractive.

"Test the water" by jumping in joyfully. Best of luck to you.

Source(s): Teenage daughter attends high profile acting school full time.
  • Athena

You, personally, should not.

To be an actor it has to be in your blood. You act becasue that is what you were born to do.

Not the fame nor the money for very few actors see any of that.

The most steady working actors are ones you never even think about.

Ones who have been a hundred movies and save the show every time.

Yet they never get "Red Carpet" treatment.

The act because it is in their blood to do so and they step up and do a great job every time.

You seem to be more a "fame and glory" type gal. You want the Red Carpet and big house, not the years of tedium and working in small budget indy films. The industry is not for someone like you.