A question about IRS tax refund?

I am a single father of two, a one year old and a one month old. My children's mother and I are not married, we never were, and are no longer together. We live seperately, and live our own lives now, and I have the children with me. She has not worked since December 2010, so has no income to claim. Neither one... show more I am a single father of two, a one year old and a one month old. My children's mother and I are not married, we never were, and are no longer together. We live seperately, and live our own lives now, and I have the children with me. She has not worked since December 2010, so has no income to claim. Neither one of us is in school, and again, I'm the only one working. My income is $37,600 annually. I'm claiming the children and my income. I owe the IRS about $800. And every refund I get, I never see, as they just apply it to the balance. But I've never had this much income before and I've never claimed children. Two or three people have told me that I could expect a refund more than 800. Is that true or a myth? And if so, what's a good ballpark figure for me to expect? And when do tax fefunds arrive?

Roswell GA (Atlanta)
6 answers 6