Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

artiste asked in 社會與文化語言 · 9 years ago

英文中分號( ; )的用法

He looked me all over, as if he had been going to buy me; and then straightening

himself up with a grunt, he said,"He's the right sort for you, Jerry; I don't care what you gave him, he'll be worth it."

1. look me all over. 這兒是省略 look (at) me all over 嗎?

2. and then之前用分號隔開,為什麼?

She had been lying on her side, her knees drawn up; she'd signed, and the heat of her breath had vaporized in the cold air of the bedroom.

she'd signed之前用分號隔開,理由又是什麼?

Update:

第一段話出於《Black Beauty》by Anna Sewell, 1877

4 Answers

Rating
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

1. look someone or something over/also look over something

: to examine someone or something.

根據網路上的FreeDictionary,若檢查的是東西,look sth over或look over sth都正確,但檢查的對象是人時,就要用look someone over

例子: I think you had better have the doctor look you over.

文中的look me all over,意思是將我仔細周全的檢查。

關於分號的用法,主要用途有兩種:

Use a semicolon [ ; ] (1) to help sort out a monster list (2) to separate closely related independent clauses

第一種:對龐然巨物般的清單進行整理

例子:There were citizens from Bangor, Maine; Hartford, Connecticut; Boston, Massachusetts; and Newport, Rhode Island.

句子中的人分別來自四個不同的州。四個,是很長的清單,於是用分號整理開。

第二種:分隔具有緊密關係的前後句。

例子:My grandmother seldom goes to bed this early; she's afraid she'll miss out on something.

這句子,可以寫成:

My grandmother seldom goes to bed this early, for she's afraid she'll miss out on something.

或是:My grandmother seldom goes to bed this early because she's afraid she'll miss out on something.

除此之外,分號和句號的功能和用法很接近,都是直接置於兩個句子中間。但用句號時,兩句的語意關係就不如用分號緊密。

英文的分號也和中文分號一樣,用來分開意義緊密、地位相等或並列的兩個句子。它在中斷文意的語氣上比逗號強烈,但又比句號稍弱。

另外,使用分號,會比使用句號更讓讀者有一種期待的愉悅感。

With a semicolon there you get a pleasant little feeling of expectancy; there is more to come; read on; it will get clearer.__ Lewis Thomas

回到原來的問題:

(一) He looked me all over, as if he had been going to buy me; and then straightening himself up with a grunt, he said,"He's the right sort for you, Jerry; I don't care what you gave him, he'll be worth it."

....; and then straightening himself up with a grunt--這句子本來應該是

...., and then as he straightened himself up with a grunt

作者把它變成分詞構句的寫法,才以分號隔開。

這兒並不是像The dog is black; the cat white.句子那樣,因為The dog is

black, and the cat is white.改成分號寫法時,後頭and連接詞和be動詞都要省略,而原文中的and依然保留著。

(二) She had been lying on her side, her knees drawn up; she'd signed, and the heat of her breath had vaporized in the cold air of the bedroom.

這段的話,就符合前頭說過的:英文的分號用來分開意義緊密、地位相等或並列的兩個句子。前半段和後半段描述的都是她側躺時的狀態。用句號的話,也是可以的和正確的,但會因此剝奪原本前後兩句的緊密關係,效果不若分號佳。

• 呆子
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

1.本句look over是片語動詞,是不及物動詞轉換及物使用,但因為it是代名詞,所以只有這樣標準用法,即look +代名詞 + over

2.斷成二句He looked me all over , 及 as if he had been going to buy me; and then ( he had been) straightening himself up with a grunt.因為 he had been省略導致。例如 The cat is white;the dog (is )black.

3.斷成二句She had been lying on her side, her knees drawn up; 及 she'd signed, and the heat of her breath had vaporized in the cold air of the bedroom.因為以分號連接二個或以上主要子句的標準用法

• 羅莉
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

look me all over. 這兒是省略 look (at) me all over 嗎?

不是省略at, 也不是把原來的over移到後面, 而是錯誤的漏掉了at.

不及物動詞是不可以這樣省略或移動介系詞或副詞的

• Louis
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

1.look是不及物動詞,look over是[詳細地檢查]的意思。all是me的同位語。這裡可能是將looked over me all倒裝了。因為本句的前提是他好像要買我,所以才來仔細看我。

2.and then前面用分號表示這是對等句,因為本句的前後用了多個逗號,句子較複雜,會讓對等關係不清楚,所以才用分號。一般簡單的結構在對等連接詞前是有逗號。

3.she's signed這裡用分號,也是對等的關係(用了分號,就可以不必再用對等連接詞;而且前面的子句有逗號,用分號會讓結構關係更清楚)。本句後面接著又有and帶出對等子句,所以是後面兩個子句先對等(she'd signed與 the heat of her breath had vaporized...是對等),然後再與最前面的she had been lying...對等。是A+(B+C) 的關係。

2012-11-06 09:13:35 補充:

look over =

To examine or inspect, often in hasty fashion: looked over the proposal before the meeting.

但這種動詞片語後面的over是介系詞,通常是不能移到受詞的後面的。本句的寫法似乎把over當成介副詞在用,讓look成了及物動詞。

2012-11-06 09:17:08 補充:

v.tr.

1. To turn one's eyes on: looked him in the eye.

根據網路字典thefreedictionary.com,look也可當及物動詞用,解釋如上。

這可能是最近發展出來的用法。

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.