A good gun to purchase?

So, today I went to a gunshow with my pops and was checking out everything on sale there, trying to get a good idea of what I want as well as price. Now if I had the money of course I would go balls to the wall but realistically I want to spend about 500-1000 dollars max. I do NOT want a pistol or shotgun. I... show more So, today I went to a gunshow with my pops and was checking out everything on sale there, trying to get a good idea of what I want as well as price. Now if I had the money of course I would go balls to the wall but realistically I want to spend about 500-1000 dollars max. I do NOT want a pistol or shotgun. I really am looking to get an AR15 or another gun similar to that. My big question is what the big difference between a 22lr vs something like a .223 chamber would be.. obviously besides the ammo they shoot. If the 22 is less expensive as a gun and for ammo, why not just go with that? I really want the gun to a) have fun shooting targets with and b) possibly hunt with later.. I do want to get some cool add ons to the gun later like a good scope and a foregrip. Please advise with any suggestions on a similar weapon and good brands to look into, and also possibly any suggestions on what to add to said guns. Thanks!
Update: Well wc, thats why I am asking these questions.. guide me and tell me the differences.. I plan on just really shooting the gun at the range and having fun with it for now, and like i said perhaps killing some little buggers with it later.. I have never owned a gun but have shot plenty of different types before. If... show more Well wc, thats why I am asking these questions.. guide me and tell me the differences.. I plan on just really shooting the gun at the range and having fun with it for now, and like i said perhaps killing some little buggers with it later.. I have never owned a gun but have shot plenty of different types before. If i go with a conversion whats the benefit and do I have to put that all together myself?