Lucy asked in PetsDogs · 8 years ago

My dog's eye always gets infected after a trip to the dog park?

I adopted him from the shelter and I've had him for a little over 2 months now. When I first got him, his eye was really red and swollen and infected so I took him to the vet and he gave me some eye drops to clear up the infection. I thought that was the end of it except every time I take him to the dog park, almost instantly after we get in the car, his eye starts to swell and close again. It's always the same eye too. And on top of that, he starts to heave and act like he's going to throw up but never does. It happens every time. What's wrong with him?

• jtexas
    Favorite Answer

A recurring infection, means that the infection never goes away - it just gets weak enough that you don't see symptoms. You have to keep putting drops in for a specified time after the symptoms are gone to make sure you've killed all the bacteria.

Highly recommend you go back to the vet for a different antibiotic, as the germs in your dogs eye have built up immunity to this one.

At the dog park, something is causing irritation, maybe an allergy, which his weakened state can't defeat in that particular eye.

Buy some terramycin oinntmet it works wonders. Maybe your dog has an underlying problem and something at the dog park makes it flare up.. I would have the vet run some tests on him to be sure. But animals can get common colds that make the eye runny swollen and have discharge unfortunetly some of these viruses never leave the body and will flare up with stress and other factors, your dog could be a carrier of the herpes virus (not herpes in ppl!) Where it is not life threatening it is contagious and once your animal catches it he has it for life! Buy some l-lysine and terramycin, give the lysine everyday and the terramycin ointment 2-4 times a day when you see a flare up, tho it will not cure it it will keep it under control... maybe its just allergies but you won't know for sure unless you ask your vet to run tests. Hope this helps!

I wouldn't take him to the dog park for a while! Take him for long walks until the eye has healed for many months. There all all kinds of things that could be causing irritation. If you wait a few months and go the the bark park and it happens again. I would never go there again. Allergy? Other dogs with poor veterinary care.

Then it seems.like.you.pet could have allergies. If your vet hasnt explored that possibility yet then you need to do 1) suggest it or 2) find a better vet.

that is be sensible to get yet another canines, that way your canines could have a chum, and easily way they'll act in yet in a unique way is at the same time as they initiate attending to understand one yet another, your canines will be pissed reason there is yet another canines in his territory yet he receives over it ultimately if u get them to play with one yet another A %. that performs at the same time continues to be at the same time