What is the mood of this passage (from The Great Gatsby)?

“By seven o’clock the orchestra has arrived, no thin five-piece affair, but a whole pitful of oboes and trombones and saxophones and viols and cornets and piccolos, and low and high drums. The last swimmers have come in from the beach now and are dressing up-stairs; the cars from New York are parked five deep in the drive, and already the halls and salons and verandas are gaudy with primary colors, and hair shorn in strange new ways, and shawls beyond the dreams of Castile. The bar is in full swing, and floating rounds of cocktails permeate the garden outside, until the air is alive with chatter and laughter, and casual innuendo and introductions forgotten on the spot, and enthusiastic meetings between women who never knew each other’s names. The lights grow brighter as the earth lurches away from the sun, and now the orchestra is playing yellow cocktail music, and the opera of voices pitches a key higher. Laughter is easier minute by minute, spilled with prodigality, tipped out at a cheerful word. The groups change more swiftly, swell with new arrivals, dissolve and form in the same breath; already there are wanderers, confident girls who weave here and there among the stouter and more stable, become for a sharp, joyous moment the centre of a group, and then, excited with triumph, glide on through the sea-change of faces and voices and color under the constantly changing light” (Fitzgerald 44-45).

thank you sooooo much

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Huh. This is a passage that (seems to me) is pretty light on human emotion - it's just straight reporting, more or less.

I suppose I would say. . . decadent? Or. . . slightly impressed? I mean, the *mood*, meaning, how the narrator feels about what they are describing. This is kind of a tough one, to my mind.

Slightly in awe? Sorry - love the novel, but this passage - to me - doesn't really have much in the way of *feelings*.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

If you are talking about mood it just going to be a way more difficult to understand.

So, as you can see the feeling is just going to be jovial.

Everything is just so gaudy. It is too much. The music is going to be mixed with another type of music.

The riches are going to fight at the end. The party is just a 'couverture' to those riches. They only express exterior beauty as their money enables them.

"By seven o’clock the orchestra has arrived, no thin five-piece affair, but a whole pitful of oboes and trombones and saxophones and viols and cornets and piccolos, and low and high drums"

Why having all of this? Why? A simple orchestra would have been enough.

Gatsby has so much money but NO CLASS. He just show off his money. But for him personally, the parties are a way to find DAISY back. His undying love.

"The bar is in full swing, and floating rounds of cocktails permeate the garden outside, until the air is alive with chatter and laughter, and casual innuendo and introductions forgotten on the spot, and enthusiastic meetings between women who never knew each other’s names."

Here we can clearly see that Alcohol is present and also that women are here.

So alcohol is a way of clearing your mind and to show clearly the inside of you.

Those East Eggs and West eggs are both cheaters, Wolfshiem, Jordan Baker and Gatsby.

Men are here to catch up some girls for the night. but the girls are here to get those rich men and marry them. They want their money(breeding/name/fame) and nothing else.

There are so many bottles that some of them are forgotten. To show how mad Gatsby is, these bottles of alcohol are quite rare and some are really old. Money can bring you materials but not interior.

"The lights grow brighter as the earth lurches away from the sun, and now the orchestra is playing yellow cocktail music, and the opera of voices pitches a key higher."

The lights show that this party is going to be great. "Yellow cocktail music and opera", my God, this is not a party it is only a zoo with a circus. Man, really what the... and Cocktail music and opera do together. Your ears could have burst out that night if you were there.

This is to show how Gatsby is rich.

"The groups change more swiftly, swell with new arrivals, dissolve and form in the same breath; already there are wanderers, confident girls who weave here and there among the stouter and more stable, become for a sharp, joyous moment the centre of a group, and then, excited with triumph, glide on through the sea-change of faces and voices and color under the constantly changing light”

Groups, here we are talking about groups of people. So, it is just an amazing party. so much people??? "Confident girls" show that they are going to hook a man this night. "Sea-change of faces and voices and color under constantly changing light" Everything changes by night. Alcohol has revealed the true nature of those people who are 'outside' just rich and 'inside' as dirty as a bin.

It is just all about Gatsby, the party mirrors him constantly. He is just trying to get Daisy just as those "Confident girls". His choice is too gaudy as his parties. So much food and drinks.

For me, those "Easterners" are as corrupted and hollow inside as those "Westerners".

========================================================================

Good luck, hope that you like my analysis and go forward if it is for a school work.

Don't worry it is a personal analysis and i can let you to copy some materials in it.

Akr!...

Source(s): Studying English Literature. Am Still 15 xD...
  • 4 years ago

lazy and grim.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.