Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceTaxesUnited States · 7 years ago

About my IRS tax refund 2013?

I'm a single mother (lost my husband recently). I was fired from my job at Bank of America in 2011. And now I'm pregnant with my second child which is due any day now, so of course I will be claiming both of my children on my tax return in January 2013 for the 2012 tax year. This January, my refund was around $4200. That was due to one child I claimed plus previous returns I had never filed since 2007. The good news is, is the the IRS told me that I don't owe them anything, that i'm up to date and current. I'm unemployed, and I live in a unit that my church is putting me for a year until I get back on my feet. I don't own any real estate or anything like that. I'm just an umeployed mother of 2. About what range will my tax refund be? I'm asking because I would like to use the money to at least buy a cheap used car and save the rest, but I want an idea of what my return could possibly be. And how long does it normally take to receive your refund if you file on time? Please advise. Thanks...

8 Answers

  • Bobbie
    Lv 7
    7 years ago
    Best Answer

    (lost my husband recently). How recently passed away?

    QUALIFIED EARNED income that you had to work for to earn is what would be required to be able to qualify for any amounts of the possible tax credit amount that you might be able to qualify for when you would have the REQUIRED qualified EARNED income $ amounts for this purpose for the 2012 tax year.

    Just having the children with out having the amounts of required EARNED income will NOT qualify you for any $ amount of a FIT REFUND during the 2013 tax filing season at all for this purpose and time in your life.

    Using all of you above enclosed information I do not see where you would be able to qualify for any amount of a REFUND for the 2012 tax year for this purpose and time in your life.

    Hope that you find the above enclosed information useful. 11/06/2012

  • Judy
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

    Unless you worked, or paid some income tax in with estimated payments, in 2012, your refund in 2013 for 2012 will be zero. Any refund you got for 2011 for claiming your older child was based on your having income from working in 2011. The IRS doesn't just give people money for having kids.

    If your husband worked in 2012 you can file a joint return with him if he's deceased, and get any refund that the two of you together are entitled to.

  • tro
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

    you don't mention when your husband died, if he died during 2012 you would file a joint return, indicating the date of his death, you are eligible to claim the married filing tax rate since you are a widow with a minor child(this goes for two years, which would be 2012 and 2013 filing)

    filing in 2012 will depend on what income you have to report, you mention you last worked in 2011, it would appear you personally have no income on your behalf

    it will depend on what income of your husband's you are able to claim--and again, a jointly filed return

    any refund will depend on earned income(you apparently have none) how much was withheld and eligibility for EIC(here again, it is based on EARNED income)

  • 7 years ago

    First i would like to say im sorry for your is already hard enough but to lose a loved one on top of being thrown into this cold world is just down right sad and i pray that God will give you the strength you need to second u should be able to file a joint tax return using your husbands ssn that is if he worked this should be good to go.h and r block is pretty good id advise you to use them they will help u

    Source(s): ME
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

    If you have been unemployed all year, your refund will be nothing. You put nothing in, you have no earned income for 2012 and are therefore not eligible for any refundable credits. That means no refund.

  • MadMan
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

    I am sorry but why would you assume that you would get any tax refund? To get a refund, you will need to have income and you have none. Even EIC is not applicable because you have no income.

  • 7 years ago

    The refundable credits are based on earned income. When did you lose your job? How much did you actually earn? Your refund will drop dramatically.

  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

    No where in your post do you mention actually having a job in 2012. Did you late husband work in 2012 (exactly when did he die?)

    You also do not mention being in school (undergraduate and paying tuition) or being self-employed.

    If there's no income and no school, you get nothing.

    If you were collecting welfare, that's not taxable income.

    If you were collecting unemployment, that's taxable income, but doesn't get you anything.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.