Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsFish · 8 years ago

Can aquatic snail eat plastic plants?

I have a snail in my 10 gallon fresh water tank and I want to put plastic plants but will he be able to eat that

Favorite Answer

No, snails cannot eat plastic plants. They may climb around on them, eating the algae, but that's what you want them to do. I recommend silk plants, rather than plastic, however. Snails can't eat silk plants, either. Plastic plants can have sharp points that can scratch fish, poke them in the eye, or snag fins and tails. Not really your best option. Silk also moves and looks more realistic. With good ones, you can't hardly tell they aren't real!

Source(s): Hobbyist for many years.

Plastic Snails

an answer?? NO

they don't eat plastic but they eat the micro algae found on them. these micro algae grow everywhere in your tank and they feed on these. honestly.. I don't know any snail which reproduces on it's own as all animals need a partner to procreate. If you later plan to have two,make sure they are not considered "invasive", some snails I recommend are apple snails because they are easy to control as they lay eggs outside the water and can be easily removed.

However silk plants are better as they offer a realistic flexability and are soft enough to prevent damage on fish bodies,especially fancy fish.

And,you could put hardy plants which will not be eaten by snails. Some snails do noy eat the fresh plant itself but eat the dead leaves of the latter so have a look at the species of snail you have.

hope it helps

Source(s): personal experience in aquariums

nope. Snails cant eat the plastic. Plastic plants are fine. Just keep an eye on that snail in case it lays eggs because they dont need a partner, they reproduce by themselves so just be aware of that. I'm sure you dont want a tank infested with snails.

Mystery/apple snails will consume your vegetation, if there is not any meals avaliable and they're ravenous. And average vegetation are great, like cryptocorne and melon swords, large leafy crops. And the some stores maintain tiny snails, like malaysian trumpet snails which definitely clog up grasp on the again filters, til the filter breaks, ect. And you could reproduce and not using a friend (not like a thriller snail, although the snails can get pregnant at the store and wait 2 months earlier than laying eggs ) in order that they lay eggs on the the crops, and then whilst you get residence, infestation. And no they do not kill the snails they simply have them in a snail-free envirorment.

• tbug

Plastic plants will do fine.

Nope he won't be able to eat them.