Who are you endorsing for President? How many conservatives are endorsing Obama?

I lean conservative Republican, but I do not think Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan make a good ticket for the Presidency. I like Mitt Romney as a person. He is a great family man, a successful businessman, a responsible person and he is fully capable of doing the job that the Presidency requires. However, he lacks the intellectual curiosity to engage in the political process with ease, because being a Washington outsider is not a good thing, when there is so much to learn about global politics and domestic policies. Romney does not know his way around the Legislative process and will not be able to effectively get laws passed or get things done, the way someone who has more experience in Washington could. Paul Ryan has even less experience than Romney on all counts, including in governing and in dealing with foreign policy. The truth is, Mitt Romney belongs in the Deparment of Commerce and Paul Ryan belongs in the Budget Committtee. They're really not suited for the jobs they are applying for.

Barack Obama is at this point the most experienced of the two candidates in every way, especially when it comes to Obama's position as current Commander-in-Chief. Obama is not the left-wing extremist that he is painted as by conservative media, and has in fact, been a third term of Bush. Everything he has done and supported is not that far off from what a Republican President would have done. Yes, Obama has spent more money, but in terms of our free enterprise system and our capitalist way of life, it is still the same. Obama even opted for the more free-market-oriented Obamacare over a single-payer system. Obamacare is probably the only issue where Obama would be the most divergent from the Republicans, however. On another front, the other huge plus with Obama is that the military would love to have Obama as Commander-in-Chief. Obama can do whatever he wants in the world and not have the media, or Michael Moore, or the anti-war movement hindering whatever process the military is going through. This special ability for Obama to follow whatever Republicans would do in foreign policy and still get away with it is very unique to him and is an advantage for Obama.

It's not just the anti-war movement that would arise under Romney if he should win, but OWS and other leftist movements would be unrelentlessly opposing and making a huge scene day after day. I'm not sure that Romney could handle that and I'm not sure that conservatives would want to defend Romney everytime he says something, especially when he is changing his positions as often as he is.

In the end, if Romney wins, conservatives are in a lose-if-Romney-wins position. If Romney wins the election he will not be greeted the way Obama was in 2009, and will face heavy criticism from around the world and from within this country and even from Libertarians and conservatives themselves. Think about his reeleection prospects in 2016. Do you really think Romney could win in 2016? There's no way Romney, with the tepid enthusiasm that Republicans have now, could be able to get people excited, if they struggle with it now. In fact, if Romney did win in this election, this would most likely spark a new liberal movement and a large enthusiasm for a reinvigorated Democratic party in 2014 and a new liberal mania in 2016.

The biggest reason against Romney is that Romney just doesn't know how to speak conservative. He doesn't get what it means to be a Republican and he can't really defend why Republicans do and believe as they do. He can't defend against Libertarian attacks or liberal attacks, and America needs Republican candidates that are as articulate and resolute as Ronald Reagan was. Obama is currently the best candidate for the country at this time, with his centrist economic policies that can be controlled by a Republican House majority and his ability to handle foreign policy with complete control. That's why I'm endorsing Barack Obama for the Presidency.

• TerryT
    Favorite Answer

Thank you for your thoughtful and well written arguement. I agree pretty much across the board. After the election we can stop pretending Obama’s anything other than a Republican ca. 1993. I remember how upset we were when Clinton signed the welfare act … and now we're defending Obama for NOT changing it.... remember how we hoped there would be serious investigations into criminal bankers and war crimes? Any of you liberals, did you ever think you'd cheer a President for saying that gay marriage is a question of "states rights" (rather than of civil rights)? In short, it'll be great to be able to stop cheering for a guy to the right of Angela Merkel, an activity we've been reduced to by the sheer horror that is Mitt Romney. But that someone like Obama can now pass as "liberal" or even "left" marks the true victory of the GOP.

Really there is no such thing as big government or small government. There is only good government and bad government. Conservatives stand for the latter because that gives them the greatest chance to bilk and swindle the American public. If folks want to be skeptical of politicians, great; however, if folks want to be enamored with politicians who are skeptical of the government, it's unfortunate. We don't need representatives in government who despise the government.

If the republicans had run a strong, principled moderate that had a clear understanding of government and foreign policy and showed integrity and reason... then such a person might well have had an easy win. Instead, the republicans ran a lying douchebag who has shown nothing but contempt for integrity and less understanding of government and foreign policy than is covered in a high-school civics class. This will be a dominate victory for Obama

When Obama wins, this country will have avoided electing a man who has amply proved he has no core principles and who will say anything and tell any lie he can get away with to win. Steadfast character should matter in a leader, whatever his policies are, and Romney has none that anyone can discern with certainty. The man is, in a word, unfit for the office.

President Obama has made historic investments in clean energy, helping more than double the amount of electricity we generate from wind and solar, and he has set a goal of generating 80 percent of America's electricity from clean sources by 2035.

Compare that with the other side. Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan want to gut those critical investments, including the Wind Production Tax Credit at the cost of 37,000 American jobs.

That's not the kind of future I want for this beautiful country of ours. We need four more years of a president who not only believes in climate change, but will fight to do something about it -- not one who will just hand over the keys of the White House to Big Oil.

We need four more years of President Obama, not just for ourselves, but for our kids, and our kids' kids, too. And we have three more days to make it happen.

You have a brain – don’t let FOX News dictate what it chooses to believe…

I'm a traditional Republican, but not a Bush Republican. I'm also a switch voter, and looking at the opinions of the party members to make my decision.

I'm a little concerned with some of the antics used by the Republicans and Democrats following what happened in Libya. The party that pushes for more refined resolutions is going to get my vote.

With such horrible unemployment rates though, social issues need to be up high on the list, persons without jobs need assistance while jobs are being created. Cannot expect the population to suffer and miraculously expect a job to be created in a few months, and winter is just around the corner. There are people starving and homeless; Republicans seem to have held back and expected to push through the election, without pursuing all avenues available to Congress. They need to become more effective instead of attempting to capitalize on gridlock, they have the ability to effect change in.

I'm really concerned about employment and outsourcing of jobs. We need to create jobs, while at the same time allowing assistance for those in our population who are really hurting. It's wrong to think the people don't want to work--when jobs are available, people find them.

Do you guys have a grip on the fact that Obama can't run a 3rd term?

Or not? Do you really not know that?

I have voted for Jill Stein. However, I urge everyone to vote for the candidate who they agree with the most whether it be Mitt Romney, Barack Obama, Gary Johnson, Jill Stein, or Rocky Anderson.

• K8

Already voted for Romney. Obama has not earned a vote in my book.

I already voted...for Mitt Romney, I'm not contributing to 4 more years of stupidity and incompetency.

Fascinating to see Gov of New Jersey and Mayor of NY backing Obama. he needs 4 years at least to try... and repair the Bush rampage.

Time would be better spent learning a new skill.

I voted Toney Ryan, I'm a straight but pro gay conservative

• Albee

Do you think anyone will read all that moronic drivel you posted, you simpleton?