How do I know if my potato is genetically modified?

Personally, I don't support GMO food so I don't want to eat it. The problem is my Mom bought some potatoes from the local market and there just in a bag but no label whether or not they're organic. I don't know and I'm wondering if there's any way to tell if they're GMO I don't want to eat them until I have a pretty good idea. I'm not sure how many potatoes in the US are GMO

Update:

Okay I think that clears it up thanks

Update 2:

Okay I think that clears it up thanks

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Look at the code. All foods have a PLU or UPC code on them in the supermarket. Vegetables are no different. If the vegetable is sold individually, look for the sticker on the vegetable itself. If the five digit number starts with an "8", it is genetically engineered.

• 8 years ago

There has to date been only one variety of GMO potato commercially produced in North America.

NewLeaf was developed in 1995 by Monsanto Co. in St. Louis, Missouri. The potato was engineered with a gene that produced a toxin that repelled the Colorado potato beetle, reducing farmers' need for pesticides. Later modification added a resistance to the Leaf Roll virus. NewLeaf potatoes were used briefly by McDonald's for their french fries before consumer backlash against GMOs put an end to their use. Monsanto has since stopped production of NewLeaf.

So currently no GMO potatoes are on the market in North America,

• 8 years ago

Look at the code. All foods have a PLU or UPC code on them in the supermarket. Vegetables are no different. If the vegetable is sold individually, look for the sticker on the vegetable itself. If the five digit number starts with an "8", it is genetically engineered.

Source(s): Look at the code. All foods have a PLU or UPC code on them in the supermarket. Vegetables are no different. If the vegetable is sold individually, look for the sticker on the vegetable itself. If the five digit number starts with an "8", it is genetically engineered.
  • 8 years ago

You don't. FYI, you have definitely already eaten GMOs.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Drink a big Glass of Jesus!

• 8 years ago

Put a bar of soap in a sock and smack a potato with it. That'll let you know.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.