Should India try out Ajinkya Rahane as an opener? Who should he replace? Gambhir or Sehwag?

Or do you think Sehwag-Gambhir pair will shine in the sub continent despite their recent failure as openers?

BQ) Do you think Sachin has got his form back by scoring a century against Railways in the Ranji Trophy?

He scored his 79th first-class hundred. He scored last 26 runs in 8 balls to move from 74 to 100.

BQ1) Who should open the batting with Alastair Cook in the first test? He scored a 100 for England in their warm-up v India A.

• Adarsh
    Best Answer

No India should go with their best opening pair.Both Gambhir & Sehwag should be given oppurtunity es for minimum 2 tests.If they fail consistently then they can experiment with Ajinkya Rahane or Manoj Tiwary in the third test.& they can replace any of Gambhir or Sehwag who would had struggled for runs.Personally I think both Sehwag & Gambhir will come good under the sub-continent conditions.So I expect them to play all the matches.

BQ-That century would be a big lift for Sachin ahead of the test series.Probably he can do the same against England,may be a double hundred.

BQ1-Ian Bell would be the right choice to open with Cook.Trott & KP should bat at no.3 & no.4 as usual.

• T J

I wrote about the star system in Indian cricket, which allows the veteran duo of Sehwag & Gambhir to carry on playing, despite numerous failures in the last 2 years or so.

Had Sehwag's finger injury been bit more serious, then only he would have sat out of the 1st Test, else both the openers are going to get a start, only on the back of their history & not current form.

Rahane also scored a century in the Ranji match, he might get picked up in 12 or 13 man squad but he is unlikely to feature in the playing XI, unless its an injury induced inclusion.

BQ 1-- Tendulkar has scored his 1st century in some time, in the domestic cricket only. England bowlers must have seen his recent mode of dismissals, bowled, so they would be working on those lines only. Though Tendulkar is good enough to overcome that hiccup, with loads of practice. Its a good sign & hoping to see real Tendulkar in the middle, when it will matter the most, all the best to him.

Not bothered with who opens the innings for England, as they have only 1 or 2 minor concerns & they will overcome that by the time 1st Test starts..

I like your idea. Those are the highest three Indian run-getters within the IPL on the moment. My workforce for the WT20 would look like this: Rahane Sehwag Gambhir Tendulkar Kohli Raina Dhoni Irfran Pathan R Ashwin Z Khan U Yadav

...We can try Sehwag-Gambhir pair in the opening test match........if they perform well ( which obviously won't happen ), then we can continue with them....otherwise bring Rahane + Mukund/ Dawan/M.Vijay...

BQ) ..On a train from Shimla to Delhi, there was a halt in one of the stations. The train stopped by for few minutes as usual. Sachin was nearing century, batting on 98. The passengers, railway officials, everyone on the train waited for Sachin to complete the century. This Genius can stop time in India....

by

Peter Roebuck....

BQ) Trott.....so they can include both Bairstow and Patel in middle order...

• Saboo

I think they should stick with the Sehwag-Gambhir partnership for now. It has proved a fruitful one over many years and the odds are that they will fire soon. Rahane should be seriously considered though, he looks a fine talent.

BQ: Yes this looks ominous for England.

BQ1: My head says Compton, my heart says Root. I think they will go with Compton.

Let's hope your question doesn't attract the Ajinkiya Rahane/Ajit Agarkar user. Gambhir is a solid opener and technically skilled batsman.Sehwag is a hit and miss player.Drop Sehwag and bring in Ajinkiya.

Ajinkya Rahane performed pretty decently in England when India toured back in 2010 so yeah i would give him another shot to see how well he copes.

yes he should surely replace one of the openers.

I think it's better to replace Gautam Gambir as if we see him playing the matches.

And also Yuvi should replace Raina.

(IN TEST CRICKET)

yes he can get chance for proving himself