How to change default program for magnet link in Chrome?

I installed Apex Dc++ and now opens magnet links with it...

How to change back to uTorrent?

Favorite Answer

You haven't given much information, so I'll assume you mean for torrents. You also didn't specify operating system, so here are the instructions for Vista or 7:

Go to the start menu and click "Default Programs" on the right side. It's the second to bottom button above the shut down button. From there, do the SECOND option, which should be "Associate a file type or protocol with a program." From there, you will see a list of file types on the left column, a brief description of what they are in the middle column, and the current default program in the right column. Scroll down until you find the ".torrent" extension. Click on it, then click the "Change program..." button near the top right of the window. It will bring up a window showing possible programs that can handle that file type. Click on uTorrent and then select "OK" at the bottom of that window.

That's it. I hope I was able to help you. Have a good day!

Source(s): Solved the same issue on my own not too long ago.
    • Xavier5 years agoReport

Yeah, You didn't answer the the question about magnet links which are a prefix: different from torrent links which are extentions

• schulz

Chrome Magnet Links

Start --> Control Panel --> All Control Panel Items --> Default Programs--> Associate a file type or protocol with a program

Scroll right down to the bottom and change Magnet: to open with uTorrent.

first of all StrongDC++ is REALLY BULLPOOP, I had the exact same problem, the SCUM of creators think they can do anything they please in my computer so they change magnets handle WITHOUT ASKING like they own my computer

anyway, even that there is a link in uTorrent (and in deluge, that I use) which says "associate magnet links with uTorrent", it was NOT working

so, start regedit, go to: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Magnet\ and there are 2 default keys which says strongdc++ (with all path like c:\program files\strongdc++\strongdc++.exe ... or where you installed it/started it), just double click on that default keys and erase all string

so next time when you start chrome, firefox, etc. it won't know how to handle magnet url so it will ask you what app to start, so voila, you go and select uTorrent, and check "remember" ;)

PS OFC, if you have the patience (which I didn't) you can replace strongdc++.exe in those "default" keys with uTorrent.exe, but don't forget to change the whole path to uTorrent.exe

Its Really Easy.

Open DC++ --> Preferences (Settings Icon) --> Advanced (Don t look for the sub menu, CLICK ON Advanced..LOL)

UNCHECK the "Register with Windows to handle magnet: URI links" option.

Close DC++

Launch uTorrent,

Click on magnet link.

Off you Go...

Not working, by default it opens DC++, now I uninstall it, and nothing happens, anything...

That is an interesting question and I hope you get some reasonable answers