How to convert steam to electricity?

I am trying to funnel steam from a boiler system i built thru some tubes and idealy into some kind of custom turbo that has an output shaft.

Favorite Answer

There are numerous ways you could do it. The main thing is you need to get the steam to turn a shaft. Probably running the steam into a piston pump system that has an arm comping off the piston that turns a shaft with a fly-wheel would be a good means. The flywheel would help ensure that you don't lose a lot of energy. Another way could be to have it turn a turbine.

I'm sure there are some books around from the mid 1800's to early 1900's on steam power. And what I think a lot of people don't realize is just how much study back then went into those technologies. For example, you want that flywheel basically almost perfectly balanced. I read part of a book on water wheel technology from way back then and they talked about the energy efficiency from all of the different ways you run the water over the wheel.

I thought the most efficient way would be to go over the top and down the front because the water would end up traveling in it's same direction. But the most efficient way is to have it fall on the top of the water wheel then run down the back. That's because you drop the bottom of the water wheel into the water and catch more power by catching the flow of the water flowing away from the wheel also. And for each of those types of water wheels they had the percent efficiency. You gain about 15% more efficiency from running the wheel that way if I remember right.

You would need some sort of turbine. The output shaft from the turbine would need to turn a generator. You would also need some way to regulate the power from the generator. You may also want some sort or storage unit to store the excess power or provide extra power under a heavy load. You will also need some sort of inverter or converter to get the voltage to the proper amount and type to operate your electrical equipment.

• You need to make use of a turbine (attached to a generator) to convert the energy from the steam into electricity, like they do with solar arrays and their towers.

try www mike brown steam generator... lots of info links and books