D asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 8 years ago

Possible presidential candidates in 2016? Which candidates got the biggest chance?

I'm doing this assuming Barack Obama is re-elected which seems likely now.

Republican: Mitch Romney (a given if Romney is elected), Paul Ryan, Sarah Palin, Condi Rice, Jeb Bush, Colin Powell, Dan Quayle, Rob Portman, Rick Santorum, Mike Huckabee, Chris Christie, Rand Paul (assuming Ron Paul retires), John Boehner, Jim Demint, Tim Pawlenty, John Thune, Bobby Jindal, Marco Rubio, Ted Cruz, Scott Brown, Michele Bachmann, Rudy Giuliani, George Pataki, Eric Cantor, Herman Cain, Newt Gingrich, Rick Perry, Jon Huntsman, Haley Barbour, Scott Walker, Mitch Daniels, Terry Branstad, Mitch McConnell, Bob McDonnell, Tommy Thompson, Fred Thompson, Sam Brownback, John Ashcroft, Donald Trump, Jan Brewer, Steve Forbes, Christine Todd Whitman, Chuck Hagel, Lindsey Graham, Meg Whitman, John Sununu, Mark Sanford, Tom Ridge, Carly Fiorina, Nikki Haley, Gordon Smith

Democrats: Al Gore, Joe Biden, Hillary Clinton, Jerry Brown, Howard Dean, Deval Patrick, Cory Booker, John Edwards, Mark Warner, Evan Bayh, Andrew Cuomo, John Kerry, Kirsten Gillibrand, Bill Bradley, Wesley Clark, Bill Richardson, Gary Hart, Michelle Obama, Tim Kaine, Chuck Schumer, Russ Feingold, Ed Rendell, Martin O'Malley, Jennifer Granholm, John Kitzhaber, Joe Lieberman, Charlie Crist, Chris Dodd, Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi, Al Franken, Heath Schuler, Patrick Leahy, Richard Durbin, Tom Vilsack, Tom Harkin, Rod Blagojevich, Gary Locke

Independent/3rd party: Ron Paul, Lincoln Chaffee, Ralph Nader, Gary Johnson, Lyndon LaRouche, John B. Anderson, Michael Bloomberg

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

You compiled quite a list of possibilities. I have some quibbles.

GOP: Sarah Palin - lost for vice-president, resigned as Governor of Alaska, is making more money at Fox News and from her books. I think she keeps her name in front of the electorate to keep making money.

Condaleeza Rice - they tried floating her name this year for vice-president and she said she has no interest in running.

Colin Powell - after endorsing Barack Obama in 2008 and 2012, how much support do you think he'll get in the Republican primary?

Dan Quayle - not to be ageist, but Quayle will be 69 in 2016. Ronald Reagan is our oldest president and he was 70 during his election. Dan Quayle is no Ronald Reagan.

Tommy Thompson will be 75 in 2016. It also depends on if he loses the Senate race to Tammy Baldwin next week.

Donald Trump - Really? He ran this year and based his whole candidacy on Obama's birth issue. He ended up dropping out. He recently made news offering millions to Obama's favorite charity if he releases his college applications, college transcripts, and passport information. Trump didn't make the same offer to Mitt Romney, offering millions to the Mormon church, his favorite charity, if he releases more than two years of tax returns.

Meg Whitman - lost the U.S. Senate race in California.

Nikki Haley - I don't want to appear any kind of -ist, but do you really think our first woman president will be someone who was born Nimrata Nikki Randhawa? With all the problems people have been having with the name Barack Obama? Do you think our first woman president will be someone who was raised Sikh? With Fox News holding polls on whether Obama is Muslim?

Democrat:

Al Gore - his name keeps surfacing, but he has expressed no interest in running again.

Howard Dean - will be 68 in 2016. Any opponent will keep replaying his campaign scream from 2004. It killed his candidacy then and it will kill it in 2016.

John Edwards - ?, after all the legal trouble following his extra-marital affair? With public opinion against him for cheating on his dying wife?

John Kerry - will be 73 in 2016. He's hoping to replace Hilary Clinton as Secretary of State. I think that would cap off his career.

Gary Hart - will be 80 in 2016.

Michelle Obama - has long denied any interest in running for office. She has never run before. She says she doesn't have enough patience to be a candidate.

Jennifer Granholm - would require a constitutional amendment. She was born in Canada.

Joe Lieberman - is an independent. Has campaigned for Republicans. Doubt he'll attract enough Democratic support to win the primary.

Patrick Leahy - will be 76 in 2016.

Rod Blagojevich- really? He was impeached and removed from the office of Governor of Illinois and is currently in Federal prison in Colorado.

Tom Harkin - I supported him when he ran in 1992. He will be 77 in 2016.

Independent - John Anderson will be 90 in 2016.

The candidate may very well likely be someone who is not now on anybody's list.

In 2008, Hilary Clinton looked like the presumptive nominee.

In 1992, Bill Clinton was not seen as the future nominee. He was a national joke after his disasterous 1988 Democratic National Convention speech. Then he started winning primaries.

In 1976, Jimmy Carter was called Jimmy Who until he won the nomination.

The 2016 nominee is anybody's guess.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 8 years ago

The GOP will proffer Mia Love. She is the female counterpart to Barack Obama. She is Mormon so she has the backing of the entire Mormon church. Look her up. I'm a liberal and I see her as a likely contender. Unfortunately I've also heard some disconcerting things about her that makes her seem hard hearted toward the 47%. No big surprise there.

• 8 years ago

GOPs Dick Morris verses Michelle Obama

• 4 years ago

Donald j Trump

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

jeb bush/ marco rubio VS hilary clinton/ joe lieberman

• 4 years ago

Yeast Infection Cure Secrets - http://YeastCured.uzaev.com/?LQQv

• 5 years ago

Mark B Graham of Florida

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

I saw Al Franken and i got cancer

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.