Why is alcohol so expensive in Britain compared to Europe?

We have the highest prices for beer wine and spirits in the whole of the EU and Camoron is wanting it to be even more expensive. I mean in Spain Italy, Germany etc you can buy a can of 5% proof lager for as little as 50 cents but here its often over £1.50. Often 3 times the price! In Spain you can also get a... show more We have the highest prices for beer wine and spirits in the whole of the EU and Camoron is wanting it to be even more expensive.
I mean in Spain Italy, Germany etc you can buy a can of 5% proof lager for as little as 50 cents but here its often over £1.50. Often 3 times the price!
In Spain you can also get a litre bottle of Vodka or Whisky for as little as 7 Euros. In most EU countries you can get a litre of red wine for 1 euro(I know its low quality) but her the government wants wine to be sold at a minimum of £5 .
Cigarettes are also very expensive here, often around £5 for 20 when they are often less than 2 Euros a packet in most of the EU.

I also remember only a few years ago most supermarkets sold dented cans of lager for as little as 20p a can and everyone used to crowd in to get a bargain, now they stopped that.

Why is alcohol so expensive here? With the recession it should be cheaper people can't afford these high prices.
Instead of the government making booze more expensive they should be reducing the price in line with the EU.
I also think the EU should enforce legislation to keep prices of alcohol form being more expensive.
Many people in Europe drink wine when every day when they eat and they are often much healthier as it helps digestion and reduces herath disease etc, here we can't afford to drink wine when we eat.

Also in Europe alcohol is cheaper and as a result they have much less alcohol related crime.

Do you agree that the price of booze in England need reducing not being made more expensive?