Leprosy asked in Cars & TransportationSafety · 7 years ago

turning right at a green light, am I to yield for people turning left in front of me?

I got the finger yesterday for taking what I thought was my right of way

Update:

yes he was turning across the lanes of traffic that had the forward green light. I was the first one at my light, proceded slightly before it turned green (we can turn right on a red if it's clear) and he tried to shoot out in front of me. I just proceeded as normal and glared at him as he was giving me the bird. He didn't get one back. I've got better things in mind for him, later

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I got my drivers license at sears!!!

they dont still do that, do they?

to answer your question, I assume the left turning driver was turning across lanes of traffic that had the forward green light. in that case you were considered part of those forward green light goers. it was your turn first, w/out a green *arrow* he was suppose to yield to cross oncoming traffic.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 7 years ago

If (1) you have a green light and (2) there is only one lane, then they are supposed to yield to you.

If there are two lanes, then they can turn into the left lane while you turn. If they do that, then you must turn into the rightmost lane so that you don't hit them.

In either case, you don't have to yield to them, but it might be a good idea.

• Smiley
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Were you driving forward or in reverse? The rules of the road may differ slightly based on this, or if you consume large amounts of alcohol ;)

But yeah...unless the guy was already into the intersection making his turn, you had the right of way.

That's the basic rule of the road anywhere I've driven in North America.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

No. A person turning left NEVER has the right of way, unless they are in a protected intersection which has a green left turn arrow.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

"Right of way" is not something you own... It's something the other driver gives to you. Technically, a driver turning right has the right of way over a vehicle turning left onto the same street, but if the other guy has already entered the intersection, you can't turn in front of him.

• Wes
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

You have the right of way on a green light in your lane....and the other party would be at fault should an accident occur...however, always drive defensively and expect such things....could save your life one day even if your not at fault...

• 7 years ago

In signal there will be 3 lanes. From left to right, 1st for vehicles to turn left, 2nd for the vehicles to go straight and 3rd to turn right. u have to take the correct lane before you approach the signal. if anyone does not follow this it is their fault and you don't have to worry

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

I don't know about the rules over there but I hope you gave him the finger right back ..

• 7 years ago

Only if you got your driver's license at Sears!

• No, eff them. Drive offensively, I always say. Let the other guy worry about ME.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.