How can i get a motorcycle license in Texas?

INFO:

i just turn 18.

i have a class c driver license.

i'm still in high school.

What do i need?

do i have to take a class?

how much do i have to pay?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The DPS gal behind the counter will not even hand you the written test unless you present your Certificate of Completion from the Motorcycle Safety Course. Take the course for around $200. Take the cert to the DPS....take the written test and pass...... Bingo.....you have a license. You won't have to ride for the trooper/examiner because you already passed a riding skills test in front of your class instructor.

The class isn't bad..... you'll learn some stuff..... Maybe, you'll even have a guy who laid his scooter over and broke his leg (Yeah, we rode his azz like a rented mule......) in your class.

Source(s): Living in Texas since 1968
    • Login to reply the answers
  • Mark
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Short answer take a MSF course. Not sure of the cost in TX but figure around 200. For the long answer keep reading.

Motorcycle License

Requirements for All Applicants

All first time applicants for a Texas motorcycle license must:

1.Apply in person at a Texas Driver License office.

2.Complete the requirements for an original applicant.

3.Present a completion certificate of the Motorcycle Safety Course (MSB-8 or MSB-8R), approved by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation. This completion certificate waives the driving test if you are 18 years of age or older.

Learner License

A motorcycle learner license allows a beginning driver to operate a motorcycle with someone in sight that is 21 years of age or older and holds a valid motorcycle license.

To obtain a motorcycle learner license (permit), you must:

1.Complete the requirements for a learner license.

2.Present a completion certificate of the Motorcycle Safety Course (MSB-8), approved by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation.

Under age 18

If the first time or learner license applicant is under Age 18, you must:

1.Be a minimum of 15 years of age (restricted to only operate a motorcycle that has not more than a 250 cubic centimeter piston displacement). On the 16th birthday of a special restricted Class M license, the 250 cubic centimeter restriction will be removed from the license without completion of an additional motorcycle operator training course.

2.Complete the requirements for a learner license.

3.Present the completion certificate of Driver Education.

4.Submit a Verification of Enrollment and Attendance (VOE) form.

5.Obtain parental authorization signature.

6.Pass the mandatory motorcycle driving test.

Source(s): Texas DMV
  • 7 years ago

You must take and pass a motorcycle safety course before getting a motorcycle license in Texas

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.