Would wiring a solar panel and grid tie inverter to the house wiring save electricity?

If one just had a solar panel and a grid inverter plugged into the mains supply would the electricity meter run more slowly when the sun was shining because the solar panels were supplying some of the power? I know there are meters to measure the feed in tarrif but I'm wondering what would happen if you just... show more If one just had a solar panel and a grid inverter plugged into the mains supply would the electricity meter run more slowly when the sun was shining because the solar panels were supplying some of the power? I know there are meters to measure the feed in tarrif but I'm wondering what would happen if you just hooked the grid link inverter straight to the mains. I understand that there would have to be some sort of relay to cut the connection if the power fails.