DOES IT MAKE SENSE: Crucible. HELP.?

1. Confusing chronology with cause and effect: Assuming that because event A came before event B, event A caused event B. Ex: It rained yesterday, and the daffodils bloomed today, therefore, the rain made the daffodils bloom.

2. Either/Or: Assuming that there are only two sides to an issue; assuming that a situation has only two possible outcomes. Ex: without a superhighway, we cannot solve the city's traffic problems.

3. Non Sequitur: Presenting as evidence ideas that have no logical connection to each other. (It does not follow.) Ex: Thomas Jefferson High School is much bigger than Washington High School; therefore, Thomas Jefferson High School is a much better school.

A. Early in Act II, Elizabeth Proctor wants John to tell the authorities what Abigail has told him--that the afflicted girls are not victims of witchcraft. When he is reluctant to do so, she assumes that he is trying to protect Abigail: "John, If it were not Abigail that you must go to hurt, would you falter now? I think not."

1. Does this argument contain any fallacies?

2. If so, what type or types of fallacies?

3. Explain why the argument does or does not make sense.

B. Mary Warren argues that Sarah Osburn made her sick: "She [Sarah] walked away, and I thought my guts would burst for two days after.

C. When John Proctor cannot remember all of the Ten Commandments, Reverend Hale implies that this indicate a serious flaw in Proctor's Christianity; "Theology, sir, is a fortress; no crack in a fortress may be accounted small."

D. Hale points out that many people have confessed to witchcraft. Proctor replies, "And why not, if they must hang for denyin' it? There are them that will swear to anything before they'll hang."

E. Abigail has claimed that Elizabeth's "familiar spirit" stabbed her with a needle. When Ezekiel Cheever discovers in the Proctor's house a poppet(puppet) with a needle pushed into it, he claims that this is proof of Elizabeth's guild: "I tell you true, Proctor. I never warranted to see such proof of Hell."

F. Hale refuses to believe that Abigail's ill will is a factor in the witchcraft accusations because he claims that bad wishes of one girl could not be responsible for so great a social upheaval: "The jails are packed....We must look to cause proportionate."

Additional Details:

I'm honestly confused on how to pick out the fallacies in each.

Could someone please help me out on these and tell me which fallacy goes with which and/or the other questions.

Please and Thank you for your time.

Favorite Answer

Let me provide some guidance, and hopefully this helps. You need to simplify the examples to the core essence of what they are saying. Here's what I came up with:

A. She asks him to do something, and when he refuses she ASSUMES his reason. Fallacy #2 assuming that the outcome she thinks of is the only possible outcome.

B. Her gut hurts after talking with Sarah, therefore Sarah must have made her sick. Fallacy #1: a cause and effect that may not be related.

C. Because he can't remember one fact, he must be a lousy Christian. Fallacy #3: one fact does not necessarily translate to that conclusion

D. People must have confessed because they were afraid of being hanged. Fallacy #2: assuming that there was only the one possible explanation and no other as to why this was happening

E. I felt stabbing, and your doll has a needle, therefore it must have you that caused this. Fallacy #1

seeing the doll with the needle and concluding that must have been the source is poor cause and effect

F. Hale believes that one person could not be the cause of all this trouble, so with this much trouble we must have many more troublemakers than 1 girl. I say Fallacy #3: because his conclusion is being driven by a suspect fact that 1 person could not be the cause (even though that is possible)

That was my rationale, and I believe you could argue a a different Fallacy for a couple of them if you wanted. I hope that helps!