do you buy your babies/baby expensive name brand clothes?

I have 2 month old twin girls and I buy them uggs, north face jackets and other expensive brands. I spend a lot of money on them and I am starting to wonder if I am spoiling them. I dont want spoiled brats when they are older, and O was wondering if I was the only one feeling this way. I am only seventeen btw and need to start saving money.

Favorite Answer

It's fine as long as you teach them the value of things, and to be very thankful of not just nice things, but anything given or received. I think your worried about the problem of your young ones realizing they have nice clothes and will always expect to have nice clothes. As long as you don't idolize clothing in front of them they won't assume that "this is better then that" instead try to teach them that a shirt is just a shirt, but some are more expensive then others and that receiving such a shirt is special, so they should not take them for granted. When they get older you then teach them of Freedom of Expression. They will have developed a distinct and sometimes specific personality so you may have to explain Freedom of Expression in a way they will understand considering their personality. When I can, I buy my babygirl all the nicest things, cause I was treated like **** growing up so I wanted to give my baby the life I never had. At the same time I am very strict on life lesson and material things to were she understands that she can't take these things for granted and must appreciate them. She is doing fine so far, but every child is different. We do our best to teach them well but in the end they are their own person.. for instance my daughter is well mannered and very kind but HATES our dog.

• Linnie

I understand those items may be cute and everything but have you considered shopping at thrift stores and second hand stores for these items? I can understand buying these clothes for teenagers but for baby's I wouldn't they grow out of clothes so fast. There were times I would buy an outfit for my son and he would be grown out of it within a week. I don't know any adult parent who spends this type of money on baby clothes maybe one outfit to get a pic made but not all the outfits. There are things more important you could be buying them with this money your spending or even starting them a college fund. I am a mom and I don't buy brand name clothes for myself let alone for my son its just a waste of money for a name. I understand your young and you want your kids to look cool but they are baby's they really don't know the difference from brand name or something you buy at Wal-Mart so if your buying this stuff to impress people believe me when I tell you this they are talking about how much money you are wasting behind your back.

I'm the first born child and my parents spent a lot of money on my baby clothes. They say looking back they wish they would have put the money in my college fund instead not because I'm a brat but because babies don't get any enjoyment out of clothing they would have rather saved for me now just a word of advice.

• Faith

Well if you don't have the money to spend then you shouldn't be spending it on things like that. However I do that with both of my kids. I often shop on eBay and other sites to get the same things at a discounted price. I didn't have anything growing up so I might be going overboard but I don't care. We have the extra money so why shouldn't we give the kids everything? If you can afford it go for it, if you can't stop.

HA! Buy them the cheap clothes now before they start having an opinion on what they wear. Unless it's been for a special occassion, I generally don't spend more than $10 per piece of clothing for my boys.

• Bobbi

Occasionally, If I find them at the thrift store or yard sale for under $5.