Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsOther - Diseases · 8 years ago

I feel so sick. Can this be from artificial heat?

Hi, Guys.

For the past week, since the weather's gotten colder, I've been getting weird headaches (more dizziness than pain) and just an overall feeling of nausea. I feel so ill..

I especially notice it while driving and in my bedroom, which is located in the cellar of my parents house. Today is worse than any other day.

The common factor is artificial heat.. In my room in the cellar, I have a small heater since it gets so cold down there. The room isn't the whole basement, it's a small walled-in area. The rest of the basement is made of stone..very dirty and old.

some background: I am twenty years old. I had Lyme Disease when I was fifteen, but was treated. I also recently started birth control.

What do you think?

Thanks! :)

(Please don't suggest going to the doctor. I live in NY where the hurricane is. just asking for quick opinions, not to be ridiculed.)

2 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    Long term, yes, see a doctor. But my guess is . . .

    Dry air. It's not "artificial heat." But, yes, that's the common factor. What's happening is that the very dry heat is drying out your sinuses. That certainly can cause headaches and nausea. The solution there is a room humidifier. Or take some warm, steamy showers. Something to increase the amount of moisture in the air.

    One other thing, though. You say you have "a small heater" in your room. If it's an electric heater, no problem. But if it's a kerosene heater--or something else that burns fuel--turn it off and move to another room immediately. The symptoms you're describing also match up with carbon monoxide poisoning. That also would cause headaches and nausea. And people die every year from carbon monoxide poisoning. It's also possible that the system that heats your home (gas, oil) is itself defective and is giving off carbon monoxide.

    To be on the safe side, I'd really suggest you spend the next few nights somewhere else in your home. And if the problem is with the entire heating system, make sure that there's some fresh air circulating through. Keep your windows cracked open. As soon as the hurricane is over, have your parents buy a carbon monoxide detector. You can get them at Sears, Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

    Then, when you can, see a doctor.

    Hope that helps.

  • if it was artificial heat you would probably have noticed it in previous years. probably a better chance of it being the birth control, look up side effects for whatever you're using

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.