Anonymous

Why do some students get worked up over what college to go to?

I don't mean to be rude or anything, but why do some students get so worked up over their GPA, clubs, volunteer activities, what college to go to or if a college will accept them? Why not just stay local or go to your state university? It's expensive to go out of state if there are no scholarships plus you get to stay home with your parents while going to college and save money.

I remember in high school counselors bored some of us and maybe even ignored those who planned to stay local or those who could have used encouragement to try out vocational training because maybe someone has financial hardship or might be suitable for them better than graduating and never going to college, you know?

I have thought of a few out of state universities but none that involved a complicated process to get accepted.

Favorite Answer

Because they are being lied to. The admission process is fairly straight forward (based on the rigor of one’s high school coursework, one’s unweighted GPA, and the SAT or ACT score). But students believe that padding their applicant with extracurricular activities or writing an excellent essay will somehow influence decision making.

If they understood the reality, they would not get so worked up.

• Marc

I could go on about this forever, but here are some crucial points:

- Sometimes the best education isn't in state

- Plenty of students also do not pay for their own education

- Padding your resume is important when applying to ultra-competitive schools

- Extra-curricular involvement often leads to scholarship opportunities

- Going away from home fosters a sense of independence. Living on a college campus helps students gain an EQ in addition to an IQ

- If you have the resources to be the best you can be, why limit yourself?

Source(s): College senior

Nothing wrong with going to your state college and which undergraduate institution you attend is unlikely to determine the rest of your life. But in fact some institutions and some programs at some institutions are simply better than others. You are likely to get a better education at Harvard that at Alcorn State. I myself turned down a scholarship at what was then a lower-tier institution in order to go to the University of Toronto (I'm a Canadian) and I don't regret it.

I don't know, I feel the same as you. I applied to one college that I really liked and I got in. It's just not that big of a deal how prestigious the college is. In the end, your degree, hard work, and skills will get you the job, not the name of your college. Meanwhile, I had friends breaking their backs to get into Yale and Stanford (failing at that by the way) and then they eventually settled for the in state, cheap college. People are odd.