I cant remove the ignition switch assembly from the steering column on my 91 Jette. The bolt and switches are?

I have the wiper and directional switches off and bolt out, but still cant get the assembly off of the steering column.

Favorite Answer

Some of those have a collar pressed on to the steering shaft. Some have a spring with a clip kind of washer holding it on. That part needs to come off before the assembly will slide off. If it has the collar, it will be tricky . I have a tierod puller that I modified for that purpose. I think the 91 just has the spring and clip. I havent done one lately. If it has the spring and clip, you might break the clip. Dont sweat it, just leave it out.

• Pete M

You may need to purchase a VW factory service manual for your car to get the proper sequence of dis assembly to remove your ignition switch.