o
o asked in HealthMental Health · 8 years ago

How can I tell if I'm just sad or depressed?

I'm only asking this because things have been hard for a long time now, even when I should be happy I just don't want to live, but I don't want to kill myself, I just wouldn't mind dying. I'm only 16 and I guess it's normal kinda (I'm not normal) I haven't had a friend in real life in years, but I'm kind of ok with that because (like my username says, I like being alone) but there are days when I sleep all day because I don't want to get out of bed and I feel REALLY sad to the point I start crying for no reason.

I just want to know if there's a way to tell if I'm sad or depressed WITHOUT the help of anyone else, maybe a Doctor? but I'm embarrassed about telling anyone.... and yeah I don't want to be sad and trust me I've tried to be happy and whenever I am happy it doesn't last very long. Less then an hour(?)

Any advice is appreciated, thank you......

Oh, and a lot of the time I don't have a good reason to be sad, it just kinda happens.

Favorite Answer

The difference is when you're sad you can get over it but when you have depression it's like being constantly sad and full of disappointments all the time while sadness can wear off after a bit. You do sound like you're depressed.

• Anna

It does sound as if you have depression, just book an appointment with the doctor don't worry depression is common and nothing you say will shock them as they would of heard it 100s of times before. i found it really hard telling my doctor but once it was over it was a relief that something was being done about it. You will probably get meds and these take a while to work, about a month. You do get some of the common side effects when you start taking them but carry on and after about a fortnight the side effects begin to lessen. You will have to go back to the doctors every couple of weeks so they can see how your doing on the meds, don't be taken back if you dont feel better after a month you might need to change them, i'm on the 3rd different types of meds now. Push councelling if you can as this has helped me alot. Hope this helps and hope you feel better soon x

Visit blackdogtribe.com for online support.. Also Ur selfesteem is very low right now. U need to find ways to improve it, look online for tips. Also try learning and doing new things; start small and this will give u a sense of achievement. .. Visit yourlifeyourvoice.org to talk to a free online councellor.. Look up exercise and depression online it releases endorfins which improve mood and brain chemistry. and Art Therapy; channelling what ur feeling into something creative helps ur brain process the negativity in ur head. also find some volunteer work; helping others or nature builds selfesteem, gives life new meaning gives perspective and good karma... u dont have to believe in god but finding some spirituality can really help and good karma is a good start... basically research all u can on depression then when u find things that help come on here and share with the other deprrssed people, more good karma. Why not join clubs groups and activities in ur community where you ll meet like minded people. Or challenge urself by joining groups u wouldnt normally be interested in.  good luck and remember the best form of suicide is to kill ur old life and build a new one, change everything.