How to help someone if they are electrocuted?

A hurricane, a large one, is about to hit hard. Trees are falling everywhere, and power lines are going to be destroyed. I want to know, just in case, what to do if someone gets electrocuted. 911 might not be an option if the phones are off. I do know some CPR, but if I try to give CPR, won't I be electrocuted as well? Thanks!

Favorite Answer

Electrocution can happen with as little as 35VAC, the Air Force ran tests in the 1950's and found that some subjects (people) could not let go of that voltage, thus they will ultimately die from heart stopping. So the first responder must face the problem of isolating the subject from the source of Electricity, without getting shocked themselves. Once released from the source, if the heart has stopped, i guess all you could do is strike the sternum (hard) hoping to restart normal rhythm.

If they are actively being shocked, you cannot even check them to see if they need CPR. You need to make sure the power is off first. 911 is your best option since the voltages are so dangerous.