Polistes fuscatus (paper wasp) sting?

I got stung by a polistes fuscatus wasp, also known as a paper wasp yesterday on my leg. It stung for about 30 minutes and then the pain went away. Now, about 24 hours later, it is red, swollen, and itchy. I have no allergies but I'm not sure how to treat it. I'm in the caribbeans so there is no medical doctor here I can see to help treat it. I tried googling self care treatments for this type of sting/wasp. I got nothing but pain levels of the sting and regular bee sting self care. Any suggestions as to what I should or could do to treat this myself? Thank you in advance.

Favorite Answer

For less severe local reactions, a mild pain killer like acetaminophen or ibuprofen can be used. Topical anesthetic creams will also help relieve the pain. Antihistamines are also very useful for a wasp sting because they help control the swelling, itch, and skin redness. Antihistamines and pain killers can be taken for several days until the symptoms decrease in intensity. Hyrocortisone creams or calamine lotion can also help reduce swelling and itch.You can also use cold compresses and ice packs (15 minutes on and 15 minutes off) to reduce swelling, ease the pain, and slow the spread of venom. A paste of baking soda can also be used to relieve some of the wasp sting symptoms.To prevent infection, it is a good idea to wash the affected area with antibacterial soap and water and treat the area with an antiseptic. An antibacterial ointment may also be used. Don't scratch it since that's a major cause for infections.

For severe reactions, the main wasp bite treatment is that medical assistance is required immediately.

Allergic individuals should carry epinephrine (adrenaline) injections for use should they get stung. An Epipen auto-injector is a convenient way of injecting epinephrine in the body should it be required. These individuals may also carry an extractor pump that is used to remove venom from the site of the sting.

Other treatments for severe reactions may involve the insertion of a breathing tube by emergency personnel and injections of antihistamines and steroids.Note that there is no specific anti-venom to counteract wasp bites.

Source(s): healthy-skincare.com

Common or broad leaf Plantain (Plantago major) and Long leaf or English Plantain (Plantago lanceolata) are real herbal champions for treating a local or delayed reaction to a wasp sting. All you need to do is pluck a handful of those egg-shaped leaves from the base of the plant, clean them off, chew or mash them up and apply the fresh poultice directly to the sting. This herbal bandage will soothe your sting, give you relief and help shrink the pain immediately. You can do several applications of this poultice if needed. The crushed seed pods can also be used as an insect repellant on your skin.

I once had a camper at a summer camp get stung by a yellowjacket and we tried all manner of conventional remedies. After exhausting these options, we found that the one solution that worked as an effective wasp sting treatment was the plantain poultice!

Aloe Vera gel is another good herbal remedy for a wasp sting. It powerfully soothes and cools the heat of a sting. If you have a fresh aloe vera plant, break off one of the leaves or even just the tip of a leaf and open it up. Lay the open leaf directly on the sting, or scoop out the gel and lather away baby.

One more simple remedy is to mix equal parts baking soda and vinegar into a paste and coat onto your sting. This will help draw out the venom.

Polistes Fuscatus