Oedipus Rex METAPHORS?

Help!

I need to find three metaphors in Oedipus the King and then raw them, but I can't seem to find any. :(

Favorite Answer

Well, first of all, a metaphor is a figure of speech that describes something with an otherwise unrelated object:

1. Oedipus's rulership is often compared to the captain of a ship.

Ex. - "You who set our beloved land - storm-tossed, shattered - / straight on course. Now again, good helmsman, steer us through the storm!"

2. Just about anything related to sex in the play is somehow described with some kind of agricultural dialogue.

Ex. - "The fruits of our famous earth, they will not ripen / no and the women cannot scream their pangs to birth."

3. The idea of physical sight being the antithesis of wisdom.

Ex. "I'm blind you say; you mock at that! I say you see and still are blind - appallingly: Blind to your origins and to a union in your house."

The irony of sight as wisdom is probably the most important metaphorical concept given that Oedipus blinds himself after learning the truth of his relationship with Jocasta.

I have given you some direction. The rest is up to you.