Rebuilding Type 1 VW Engines?

I am going to build a VW Type one engine for a Cabriolet Bug. I am wanting to build a fun, fast and reliable engine. I plan on starting from scratch with a new case and build from there. I don't know if I should make it 65hp, 120hp, 200hp. I want good gas mileage (30 range), fast (not a Rocket) and still do 85 on the highway. I don't want to have to work on the engine everyday.

How big engine would be the best?! 1600? I am not the greatest with VWs so any help would be thankful.

Thank you,

-L

Favorite Answer

The 1600 cc motors were 56hp. When going for more horses there was a problem with the crankcase studs for the heads pulling out of the crankcase so if you buy a crankcase make sure it's been modified to hold the extra power. The special inserts made the holes in the case at least 5/8" where the cylinder/head studs went into the case. If the holes in the case are smaller than 1/2" it's going to pull out and give you blow by between the heads and cylinders.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech/ 1970 VW apprentice factory trained

New cases are more likely to have undetected factory defects.

You are better off with a rebuilt case that has been tested by use.

You can build any hp variation you want, but the larger the hp, the shorter the life, worse mileage, and less reliable.

I think 1600 or 1750 is enough.

But 85 on the highway is too fast.

There is no car that can get 30 mpg at 85.

Don't go over 75 mph.

The best mileage is under 55 mpg.

The big things you want are hydraulic lifters, deep sump, and external oil cooler.

The rest is not as important.

• You can find 1600's in every corner of the earth, so parts will be available -- might have to dig around some, though. As I recall the old pancakes were 36 or 40HP, and that was plenty. I'd respectfully suggest you don't build an engine one part at a time -- the cost will be outrageous. Instead why not find and rebuild a good old pancake which looks decent but won't run? John Muir wrote an easy to follow book (back in the 60's) on maintaining these, and I'd suggest finding a copy of it.

Source(s): old mechanic
  • KAM

check out these sites for more parts and info on building an air cooled engine,www.thesamba.com, cbperformance.com,dansperformanceparts.com appletreeauto.com,carcraftstore.com.