how many years does a router last? anything to do with the internet usage?

about how many years can you use a typical router before you have to replace it (with the router's power always on)? and does it have anything to do with how many hours you use the internet with it?

• DrDave
    Favorite Answer

I've got routers 20 years old that still work. There is NO reason to replace a router unless you bricked it or you have some of the newer wireless N hardware on your devices and you have a wireless G router.

I assume you are talking about a SOHO environment and not a Business/Enterprise.

If it says Linksys on it, in my experience anywhere from 6 months to 1 year. I have never seen a Linksys router last any longer than 2 years.

I have a D-Link router that i used to use with a dial-up 56k modem that is still working for a FIOS connection at my mother in laws house. That is going on 11 years.

I have a trendnet router that went bad after 2 days.

Most people upgrade routers because they want new features. Wifi, better wifi, guest wifi, Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI), port triggering, better bandwidth capability, or VPN functions.

There have been many reports that the cisco branded linksys routers get too hot and lock up. There are a lot of refurbished ones for sale because they get returned for this reason a lot. Usually correct placement of the router where good air flow is possible or putting something under it to increase air flow (like some longer legs) fixes the issue.

• ?

A router should last for many years. I have never had one actually die; they are occasionally replaced to add a new feature in a new model. There is no moving parts and so nothing to wear out. The amount of usage will not affect the length of its life.