Any ideas for a dichotomous key?

I have a Science project and I have to find atleast 21 objects to do a dichtomous key on. I want to do something like football helmets. (I can't do football helmets or anything like it though because we did that one in class.) Any ideas?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

a key used to identify a plant or animal in which each stage presents descriptions of two distinguishing characters, with a direction to another stage in the key, until the species is identified.

Dichotomous Key Examples

Examples of a dichotomous key in written and graphical form for a specific list of items

are given below.

Activity

Create a dichotomous key using the following list of specimens: pine tree, clam, rock,

robin, tin can, deer, oak tree, mouse, dandelion, Paramecium, bicycle, ant

Here's an example in written form using these items:

1. a. Organism is living........................................................go to 4.

1. b. Organism is nonliving..................................................go to 2.

2. a. Object is metallic........................................................go to 3.

2. b. Object is nonmetallic..................................................ROCK.

3. a. Object has wheels......................................................BICYCLE.

3. b. Object does not have wheels......................................TIN CAN.

4. a. Organism is microscopic...................................PARAMECIUM.

4. b. Organism is macroscopic............................................go to 5.

5. a. Organism is a plant.....................................................go to 6.

5. b. Organism is an animal.................................................go to 8.

6. a. Plant has a woody stem..............................................go to 7.

6. b. Plant has a herbaceous stem.................................DANDELION.

7. a. Tree has needle like leaves.....................................PINE TREE.

7. b. Tree has broad leaves............................................OAK TREE.

8. a. Organism lives on land................................................go to 9.

8. b. Organism lives in water...............................................CLAM.

9. a. Organism has 4 legs or fewer......................................go to 10.

9. b. Organism has more than 4 legs...................................ANT.

10 a. Organism has fur........................................................go to 11.

10 b. Organism has feathers................................................ROBIN.

11 a. Organism has hooves.................................................DEER.

11 b. Organism has no hooves............................................MOUSE.

• 4 years ago

Dichotomous Key Ideas

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Any ideas for a dichotomous key?

I have a Science project and I have to find atleast 21 objects to do a dichtomous key on. I want to do something like football helmets. (I can't do football helmets or anything like it though because we did that one in class.) Any ideas?

Source(s): ideas dichotomous key: https://tr.im/H7HaF
  • 5 years ago

i'm not really sure what you're askin. i remember doin a lab in biology where we had to bring in items, and classify them as if we had a dichotomous key, but could you be more specific please?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avX1R

How about lab equipment? Test tubes, beakers, forceps, probes, scissors, scales, thermometers, flasks, scalpel, ruler, bunsen burner, dissecting pan, calculator, etc. You can start by dividing them up into things that measureor not; or things that are made of glass or not.

• topaz
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

How about letters of the alphabet? (contains only straight lines/contains at least one curve; contains at least one straight line, contains only curves) Since you only have to do 21, you could do the consonants only.

You might not be able to do football helmets (presumably you did NFL teams?) but there are college teams, other sports teams (do them by their jerseys? or by their team nicknames?) and other pieces of sporting equipment (types of balls, protective gear, additional equipment like raquets, hockey sticks, soccer goals, basketball nets, backboards - call it "things an athelete would use").

modes of transportation (canoe, bike, unicycle, train, car, SUV, truck, hot air balloon, hang glider, etc.)

childhood games/board games (chutes & ladders, Life, checkers, Chinese checkers, backgammon, Monopoly, Trouble, Sorry, Truth or Dare, etc. - game played with dice/not played with dice)

or just pick something you like and know a good deal about that has at least 21 variations

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.