Does the label "Trinitarian" bother anyone besides me?

@James - a lot of labels bother me. I just go with Christian

Favorite Answer

It's a little clumsy, except when needed to distinguish between Christians who accept the doctrine of the Trinity and Christians who don't.

It comes up around here fairly often only because that doctrine gets discussed so frequently.

The Trinity is a construct based partly on the Gospel of John, Chapter 1, about "the Word (Logos)". "...And the Word was with God, and the Word was God, ... (and) in the beginning with God... And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us". This is a mystical reference to Jesus Christ that has been interpreted by the Christian Church as meaning that he was part of God, and is now believed to be the second Person of God. The first Person is God the Father. They also refer to the story of Christ’s baptism when a dove appears above Jesus’ head, and a voice is heard saying “This is my beloved son in whom I am well pleased” (Matthew 3:17 and Luke 3:22).

There are many references to the Holy Spirit in the New Testament, and again this has been interpreted by the Christian Church as the third Person. Some theologians have tried to square the circle by explaining that the Son issues from the Father, from eternity, and the love between the Father and Son is itself a Person, the Holy Spirit.

The doctrine of the Trinity was adopted generally in the Council of Nicaea in 325CE. It's tempting to think that it's influenced by other pagan beliefs. Theologians try to make it sound technical by referring to the Triune God - One God, with 3 Persons.

Although the King James Version states "For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one" (1 John 5:7), the New American Standard Bible shows "For there are three that testify: the Spirit and the water and the blood; and the three are in agreement." (1 John 5:7-8). The KJV seems to have been contrived to support the much later doctrine.

Theologians sometimes take a more recent concept or construct and read it back into earlier scriptures. So they might then interpret earlier scriptures as referring to newer doctrines that the author never intended. So in Genesis 1, when it refers to God saying "Let us ...", they then re-interpret that as the Trinity talking to itself; the author had probably envisaged the Canaanite pantheon (Elohim, sons of the Most High God El Elyon).

it rather is somewhat not fake commercial. The teaser merchandise IS unfastened. yet you sign a ****revocable**** settlement with the intention to acquire it. the difficulty right this is that those companies be responsive to that maximum persons will ***ignore to revoke*** the settlement interior the (nicely-known) 30-day era, and get billed. maximum all of us is so centred on the unfastened merchandise that they omit the essence of the settlement altogether, that's the income TO THE OFFEROR. somebody else suggested - there ain't no such ingredient as a unfastened lunch. it is not unlawful to enable somebody make an a-- of themselves, that's why those businesses could make the gives you they make, enable one sign in, enable the "trial" era bypass, and carry mutually the money. i'm getting lots of of those "unfastened" $5 checks interior the mail it is not humorous. i've got cashed some and then mentioned as in and cancelled the settlement after 10 days or so, because it became needless to say reported that i could. yet I could take a seat there and time issues till the examine clears, yada yada - no longer probably nicely worth my time for $5.

No. Not all Christians accept the doctrine of the Trinity, so the term "Trinitarian" can be helpful in knowing where a particular group or individual stands.

No, i love it since the Trinity is the One God of Eternal Love

and it is an accurate label for me and mine

I would be very bothered if i were mistaken for non Trinitarian, thank you

I am a Nicene Chalcedonian Orthodox Trinitarian Apostolic Catholic Christian Abrahamic Monotheist Human

What are you?

• The word trinitarian is used in several senses:

Ideas or things pertaining to the Holy Trinity.

A person or group adhering to the doctrine of Trinitarianism, which holds God to subsist in the form of the Holy Trinity.

The Trinitarian Order is a Roman Catholic mendicant order founded in 1198 by St. John of Matha.

Members of Trinity College, Cambridge

Members of Trinity College, Oxford

Source(s): Do all of them bother you?

It doesn't bother me. I believe in teh Trinity. Nobody ever calls me a Trinitarian, but I don't think it would bother me if they did. Belief in the Trinity is part of Christianity, so calling me Christian also implies Trinitarian...God is God, nomatter what we call Him, and nomatter what anyone else calls us.

• Feivel

No offense but if you believe in the concept of a deity made of 3 beings (father, son, spirit), then would that not be a accurate label?

It seems like it would be me saying I am bothered by the word "monotheist" or "Jew" or something like that.

Maybe I am not understanding something (strong possibility, I will admit LOL)

• ?

Some people call themselves Christian because they believe that Christ is the son of God, but they don't buy into trinity doctrine. If you need to differentiate between those two groups, it's a handy label to use.

Source(s): And nobody better start with the no true Scotsman stuff either.
  • Anon

Is that like Saint Trinians Girl School?

Then yes!!

LMFAO