Is studying the grammar in any language a waste of time?

I mean, I really want to become fluent in Spanish as I'm going to Colombia soon, I'm also studying Spanish at school and I struggle too much, so I went to every site that helps you with Spanish, and all it ever said was that the grammar is a waste of time, is that true, cause my teacher told me that learning the grammar is very vital. But others say different.. Confused!!

Favorite Answer

Consider grammar as a part of a puzzle, when you put it with the other pieces together you'll get language as a result. You need grammar, it teaches you to construct syntactically correct sentences. Grammar is definitely not a waste of time, but some make the mistake of learning only the grammar and neglect that way communication. A balance is necessary here. Grammar, vocabulary and communication.

Source(s): Romance philology student
  • Frank

In terms of learning a language, learning grammar once will help you. If you understand the direct object and indirect object in English, it will help you learn them in Spanish.

Also, learning how to learn is a very useful skill that goes beyond just the language you are studying.

It's vital.

Native speakers of a language pick up grammar effortlessly during childhood, without needing to know rules as such. But to older non-native learners, it's really not possible to learn a second language well without consciously learning rules of grammar.

A native child learns his own language without learning grammar consciously. But he could say:

YESTERDAY I GOED TO SCHOOL. (instead of went).

This mistake indicates he knows that the past tense should end in -ed. Who taught him grammar ? Nobody, he found out about the past and uses it but he doesn't even know he knows GRAMMAR.

----------------------------------------------------------

A non-native is not exposed to a language 24/7 and his first tongue interferes too. So you must learn some grammar and take it to a conscious level .

NOT A WASTE OF TIME but balanced with communication of course.

A language is not just a list of words.

Of course you have to study grammar.

• Tony R

Well it kind of depends on what you want to accomplish. Do you just want to get by and don't care you sound strange, like a foreigner saying in English "Were you find good place sell maps." Sounds strange but I could figure out what he wants. Or do you want to sound as good as you can to the Spanish speaker, then grammar is good to know, as well a learning new words, and so on.

Grammar is not essential to learn a language, but it makes learning faster.

Why think you no think grammar important learning in language?

Source(s): There's your answer, fool.