Do Catholics really take their religion seriously?

Or is it more like the Flying Spaghetti Monster cult, more of a good chuckle than anything?

Favorite Answer

Catholics that are actually practicing do, but unfortunately there are far too many people who call themselves Catholic but truly aren't.

Catholics have been taking their religion seriously for the best part of 2000 years. the Protestant religions are less than 500 years old and most of the happy-clappy fundie "Christian" religions are less than 50 years old and few people take them seriously. Unfortunately there are thousands of them.

• xK

Most Catholics I know pick and choose what parts of the Bible they want to follow, but I think that's true with most religions.

Many do! Of course like any religion you get the people that do it only out of habit or tradition and not all seriousness.

• no

I have found very few that even know what they believe. Many are "die-hard" Catholics, but in name only. If you actually show most of them things in their Catechism, they wont believe you even after reading it.

yes I do