are teaching certificates transferable to other states?

if i get a type 09 certificate in illinoies can i take it and teach in florida, etc?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

You are asking if Illinois has reciprocity with Florida. You'd have to check with the respective Departments of Education for those states. Many states do share reciprocity, but always check with the State DOE to be sure.

If you haven't completed your credential / certificate yet and you already know you'll be looking for a teaching position in Florida, you might want to complete your credential in Florida rather than Illinois. Doing so means less duplicate or unnecessary coursework later.

Can you transfer states? Short answer: Maybe. But... it might be better to move / transfer now and complete any education / preparation at your destination instead of hoping to transfer afterward.

Source(s): 20 year classroom teacher.
  • 8 years ago

They are not 'transferable'. You must apply for Certification in any state in which you want to teach. Every state has their own Certification requirements, usually posted on the Dept. of Ed. website for that state.

• 8 years ago

I think yes

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.