Best book or website to analyze the messages & visual motifs of movies & tv shows?

I'm a film major & I'm taking some cinema studies courses & learning how to interpret the visual motifs, themes/messages & backround/context of films & shows. We've analyzed Rocky, a Dark Knight, On the waterfront, the first dawn of the dead & others. Is their a good website or book that will provide information to help me do this on films especially the ones I grew up watching in the 80's & 90's like Conan the barbarian, Predator, the first star trek films, & the tv show Buffy the Vampire Slayer??

One of the classes I'm taking is also a film language course so I have a basic knowledge of cinematography ie the difference between a birds eye view & a crane shot & what a dolly forward or vertigo shot is est.

Favorite Answer

Usenet is sadly long dead. Tmblr killed livejournal or I'd tell you to look there. Nobody on tumblr has ever had anything worthwhile to say. Try the Internet Movie Database message broads and the Television Without Pity forums.

Before you can analyze a film you must know the language of film. This has been changing ever since movies were first made. The "Language" of file requires and understand of of editing, pacing, photographic composition, and how it relates to the current emotional impact of the audience.

More simply, how you "cut" pictures together, and the camera angles used do affect people emotionally, and understanding the language and how it relates to a culture is analyzing it. For example, if were to go back in time and shoot and edit a film using today's editing and camera angles, it would not be understood by the audience - it would be a series of related but poorly sequenced crap. Likewise, if you made a film using only the conventions used in 1910, it would be boring crap. There also many books written about this subject. I suggest you start with a couple of Russian filmmakers named Sergei Eisenstein, and Vsevolod Pudovkin. Eisenstein felt of was the camera composition that made the biggest difference while Pudovkin said it was editing. My opinion is that it is both. A cinematography has to know enough about editing to enable him or her to suggest to the director what will work best. Actually, the director should know that, as well.

this won't actually matter variety yet i study the eco-friendly mile sequence while i replaced into surprisingly youthful and mentioned that of all his books, it quite is one that would desire to be made right into a action picture... and then a pair years later they did yet i nevertheless have not considered it. i'm ashamed to assert that i did no longer study harry potter till when I observed the 1st action picture. now that's my maximum loved e book, i reread each and all the time, fairly while i wade by a coarse time cuz that's consistently sturdy and interior a internet site i'm absorbed and overlook something that is going on in my actual existence. with lotr, i observed the 1st action picture and HATED it. then i study the hobbit (no longer quite till after the 2nd action picture). as quickly as I study the hobbit, i enjoyed the flicks a lot a lot. i did no longer study the trilogy till some 12 months and a a million/2 in the past and that i'm chuffed i observed the flicks first with the aid of fact i admire the books and could have been aggravated with the assorted discrepencies if the action picture hadn't been what i got here to comprehend initially. i'm listening to the da vinci code on tape now, nevertheless i had to study it previously it became a action picture i'm only now getting around to it. i did no longer love the action picture yet i'm liking listening to the audio e book a lot. i only study inkheart and inkspell and presently after ending them i found out that inkheart is now in preproduction to develop right into a action picture.

TV Tropes is a good resource. (not just TV- this covers film, literature, comics etc.)

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HomePag...

Here is the page for Predator:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Franchise/Pr...