How to shoot in camera raw?

Hello, my photography teacher wants use to shoot pictures in camera raw but he is not good at giving instruction. Can someone help me or give me a good website where they teach how to shoot pictures in camera raw. And i don't even know what camer raw is, so can someone explain too. Thanks.

First of all what camera do you have

Not every camera can shoot in the raw format. Raw is the data of the sensor with some added information about the settings, date and so on. Not every camera is able to store this data as raw data. Well more that not every camera has that as option.

If you own a DSLR or an EVIL/CSC/Mirrorless then you probably can shoot raw. Again this is pure the data of the sensor before it is processed

You can look in the booklet you did get with your camera where the settings are to set it in Raw mode. you know odd that your photography teacher asks for it... working with Raw takes a bit of learning you see. At least they should give the basics...

Shooting raw is like well cooking, you have some raw eggs, some veggies, some bacon.. instead of asking the camera to turn it into a quiche it pretty much means getting the raw eggs, veggies and bacon

You self have to make the quiche.

So look it up in the booklet you did get with the camera and well.. hope your teacher coming week is more clear .

• GP G

RAW is an image format much like jpeg, tiff, gif. The difference is RAW is unprocessed, uncompressed information from the camera's image sensor straight to the memory card.

The advantage of shooting RAW is you can recover lost details from a photograph such is dark shadows or overexposed.

Only higher end camera's have this feature. I doubt point and shoots will have it.

• Andrew

RAW is an alternative to .jpeg, supposedly superior, but I've never been able to get it to work.

If your camera is capable of shooting RAW (not all of them are), there should be an option in your,'Quality,' menu - a lot of the time, your highest resolution will shoot a RAW image and a high-quality .jpeg at the same time.

Please give a make and model number. All dSRs and high end compacts can shoot in RAW. your average compact digital camera, cell phones and such don't shoot in RAW.

I could tell you but better you contact me personally to understand fully. I will help you when i am free and when i can

skype: mahidoes

Source(s): I live for photography.