is it illegal to threaten to kick your son/daughter out of the house if they don't vote a certain way?

The guy in the cubical next to me at work was on the phone and threatened his son/daughter. He said "You better vote the way I want if you want to live in my house." After that he threatened to stop paying for the cell phone, car insurance, etc. Is this illegal?

Update:

Many people in this state vote by mail.

Update 2:

Also found this on another post regarding Florida law: "(2) No person shall directly or indirectly give or promise anything of value to another intending thereby to buy that person's or another's vote or to corruptly influence that person or another in casting his or her vote. Any person who violates this subsection is guilty of a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084. However, this subsection shall not apply to the serving of food to be consumed at a political rally or meeting or to any item of nominal value which is used as a political advertisement, including a campaign message designed to be worn by a person."

Update 3:

I think all of the people who answered here are DEAD WRONG. Here's the federal law.

Intimidation of Voters, 18 U.S.C. § 594

Section 594 makes it illegal to use intimidation, threats, or coercion, or attempt to use any of these means, to interfere with the right of another to vote or vote as the individual chooses, or to cause the individual to vote or not vote for any particular candidate for federal office.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • WRG
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

It's completely legal. Since the kid is voting he must be over 18. The parent has no requirement to house, feed, insure or whatever after that point.

But how would the father know one way or the other how the kid voted or even if he actually pushed any button in the voting booth.

• 8 years ago

Well since the child is 18 or over the parent isn't required to provide housing anymore.

• 8 years ago

If you're 18+ your dad doesn't have to do anything for you anymore, that includes providing you housing or paying your cell phone bill. Sounds like its time for Jr. to get a job and fly the nest!

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

If the son/daughter is 18 or over (which I'm presuming they are as they are allowed to vote) it is completely legal. An 18-year-old is no longer a child.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Galen
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

Why would it be?

Unless the child is young, i.e. the father has a legal obligation to provide certain services, then he is free to attach strings to them as he wishes.

Source(s): Law Student
  • Not illegal at all. If junior is still sponging off mom and dad they should expect to be told what to do.

• 8 years ago

Voting is private ... the son/daughter can just agree with their dad and then vote how ever they want ... simple really ... !

• Neil
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

No.

But how can he know how the son or daughter actually votes?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.