J asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 8 years ago

Vegans, have you ever cheated on your diet, even once?

Favorite Answer

They would not admit it if so here for fear of losing their respect in the V&V forum. It'd be like some religious leader admitting they had serious doubts of their faith.

Peter Singer is often cast aside as an AR philosopher by the V&V community due to his paris-exemption rule.

Source(s): ex vegan

In the past(3 years ago) I did. I usually made exceptions to holiday events(thanksgiving) where the host was not made aware and did not accommodate my dietary choices(I would never expect anyone too)

Now, meat makes me sick. My family and friends know I'm vegan, and if we go out or food is made they are usually pretty good at picking something neutral. I will not deliberately consume meat or animal byproducts, that's not to say somethings I have consumed contained animal products unbeknownst to me.

@Quincy You are not Vegan, nor even Vegetarian if you eat chicken twice a day.

Veganism isn't a diet,

it's an ethical philosophy opposing animal commodification and the resulting lifestyle,

of which diet is but a small part.

And no- once I decided it was unjustifiable to use sentient creatures as things, that was it.

I research product distributors, charities, and ingredient list before I fund anything.

It's that simple.

I'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian, and it's still hard. Many people don't know that there are horse and/or cow products in jell-o. Also, there are fish products (possibly fish bones? not sure) in marshmallows. I cheated, unknowingly, and ate a smores pop-tart. I regret it. Still, I don't make exceptions for eating meat on holidays. It's difficult to go against family tradition, but my family is understanding.

I am more properly labelled a vegetarian, but I have not knowingly "cheated". I am repulsed by the thought of eating animals/products so avoid them like the plague!

@ VeggieDude - sorry, Quincy had to go. He is the section troll Huntley/Jessica/Timmy.

I have had milk.... I am nolonger a vegan, I am a vegetarian.