? asked in Social SciencePsychology · 8 years ago

Why am I so uncreative?

I can't design anything. I can't even build good looking stuff in Minecraft. I just seem to have a chink of my mind missing. I can play basic guitar, I have been learning for 4 years, and haven't really improved. I did a music cause at college, and I was unable to produce any music in the lesson. I would spend hours trying to remix stuff, and create my own stuff, and I just couldn't. Why is this?

No, I'm terrible at maths and hate it too. I enjoy English though, and I am interested in learning other languages, Swedish to be exact.

Music course*

Someone hurt me. The spelling mistakes in this question are making me cringe. WOW! This is what happens when you don't proof read.

• Frank

Hey,

Though I do subscribe to the rational vs. logical explanation for personalities, what I've found is that each one of us is wired differently. Creativity is being original and coming up with fresh ideas. And creativity is not limited to art.

A filing clerk may have a creative idea to organize files in a different manner that is more efficient. A mathematician may have a creative approach to a theoretical model. A programmer will have an ingenious idea for a piece of code. Musicians, photographers, travel guides, farmers, EVERY ONE has the potential to be creative in their individual fields.

When you say that you've tried to produce music and couldn't, what do you mean? It was boring or difficult? If it was boring then obviously there's no point beating yourself down about it. Find something that interests you and be good at that. If, on the other hand, it was difficult, then realize this - every thing is hard before it becomes easy.

I started writing songs a couple of years back and I used to suck horribly at it. But I love music and so I just kept writing anyways. And though I still write crappy songs, once in a while there's a gem among them.

You can do anything you set your mind to. It's just a matter of time and effort. Decide what you want to be good at and get going. Interested in learning languages? That's awesome. Go for it. We're all different and talented in different ways.

Cheers

Edit: I meant 'rational vs. artistic' in the first line :D Happens to the best us sometimes, eh?

• OU812

Are you really good at math and logical thinking. Some folks with very logical minds do not possess a lot of creativity. I am that way. I am excellent and physics and any kind of analytical thought, one reason I became an engineer, but I cannot design anything from an art perspective. I can design a computer program, a nationwide MPLS network, etc., but I could not write a song to save my life. Art and logic just don't go hand in hand.

Guess what, you are being hard on yourself. Not everyone can play guitar, design structures, or anything like that. You like English, so try writing. Or maybe plan to travel to Sweden one day. Do other things since trying to play guitar or Minecraft is depressing you.

Because you're really a robot.