MegaDan asked in SportsTennis · 8 years ago

How do you think the Top 4 in Mens Tennis will look, in the year 2016?

This is how old some of the likely candidates will be by the start of 2016, the age below is how old they would be for the Australian Open in 2016:

Novak Djokovic - 28

Andy Murray - 28

Rafa Nadal - 29

Roger Federer - 35

Juan Martin Del Potro - 28

Milos Raonic - 25

Grigor Dimitrov - 25

David Goffin - 25

Bernard Tomic - 23

Alexandr Dolgopolov - 27

Andrey Kuznetsov - 25

Ricardas Berankis - 25

Ryan Harrison - 23

Kei Nishikori - 26

Add anyone else you can think of, im sure i've missed some.

BQ1 - Rafa Nadal, Novak Djokovic and Del Potro all won their first slams at 20 Years old, I don't see any 20 year old's around at the moment that could replicate this, Who do think will be the next player to win a Slam who is currently under 21?

BQ2 - Do you think Rafa Nadal will still be playing in 2016?

BQ3 - Do you think Roger Federer will still be playing in 2016?

Del Potro 27* oops

And Federer will be 34, not 35 :D

@Paul - you're so busy correcting me you didn't even answer the Question!

Favorite Answer

I'm considering: Murray, Djokovic, del Potro, Nishikori, Goffin, and Raonic.

Federer and Nadal will be gone by that time.

1. Andy Murray

2. Juan Martin del Potro

3. Novak Djokovic

4. Marin Cilic

I put Cilic in Top 4 :D

I'm a big believer in Cilic. He's gotta get his head a bit straight and his consistency has to improve. He made great strides this year, but he has to start getting back in the 2009 form when he demolished Murray at USO and his Aussie Open 2010 form. He can do it, though.

BQ: Very tough Q ... I think we're a good 6 or so years away from that so a current Junior player

BQ2: No

BQ3: No

The top four below are in the order I think is most likely. However, I think it's entirely possible for Delpo to be above Djokovic and/or Murray in 2016 and even Raonic could potentially break into the top 3, depending on his development.

1) Andy Murray

2) Novak Djokovic

3) Juan Martin del Potro

4) Milos Raonic/Nicolas Almagro (not sure, I think the French Open is pretty important for 4th though)

BQ1:I really have no idea, Tomic I suppose - the only young players I can even think about as potential slam winners are 21/22 (Raonic, Dimitrov, Nishikori)

BQ2: Nope, hence why he isn't in my top 4. I doubt he'll make it to 2015.

BQ3: Doubt it. He might be part time.

• Lomax

Roger Federer must be approaching the end of his career; and there are severe doubts over the long-term fitness of Rafael Nadal. For the next couple of years therefore, I expect the top two (barring injury) to be Djokovic and Murray, though not necessarily in that order. Whether they'll be able to remain at the top until 2016 is another question - four years is an awful long time in tennis.

Who will join them in the top four is a wide-open question. I think the time has passed for Ferrer, Del Potro, Tsonga, Berdych etc; and of the next age group I don't see anyone ready to step up, except possibly Raonic.

My prediction for 2016 therefore is -

1) Djokovic

2) Murray

3) Raonic

4) Some kid who's sixteen or seventeen now, but will make a breakthrough in a couple of years.

• Paul

Well I don't want to correct you, but you may want to check some of your ages. del Potro will never be 1 year younger than Rafa. He'll be 27 at the start of 2016 while Rafa will be 29. And He'll never be the same age as Andy Murray/Novak Djokovic also. They will always be 1 1/2 year older. They'll turn 26 before he turns 25.

Sorry for that. :)

BQ1: No one for a long time. When it happens though, it'll probably be similar to Rafa. A young dominant clay court player.

BQ2: I do actually. No reason to think he still can't win the French at least by that time.

BQ3: It be nice, but I doubt it. Two more years I think. 2013-2014

Edit: Yeah sorry. Just realized I forgot to answer.

If Federer is still playing I think it's safe to say he won't be #1. Probably around 5-10 range. Rafa also I think will be in 5-10 range. Murray and Djokovic still at the top along with del Potro and likely Raonic. Out of everyone else on the list, I would think Nishikori and Tomic would be contenders by that time too. It is hard to say though. Any one of those guys could be #1 by 2016 for all I know.

My prediction:

1) Andy Murray

2) Novak Djokovic

3) Juan Martin del Potro

4) Milos Raonic

http://australian-open-2016.com/

• Flugu

To be honest I think the 4 of them will still be playing in 2016.

BQ1: No, indeed I don't think it will happen, especially these days with the top 4 that dominates. I have a feeling that 2013 will be a bit like 2012 with the same dominating players. But anything can happen in 4 years but I don't see any player under 21 that can do it right now. In the WTA I would tend to think about Laura Robson who is 18 but I'm not sure about it, I haven't seen her playing enough.

BQ2: I think he will still be playing, unless his knees injury gets worse and he's not able to play anymore.

BQ2: Roger said he wanted to play Rio 2016 if he was still healthy by then. So far, he didn't have any injuries nor health issues so if he stays healthy, I'm sure he can still play in 2016. For me he doesn't look on decline right now.

Oh and I also forgot to answer the question but honestly, I have no idea ! I don't even know if I want it to stay the same or to change, probably a mix of both.