do most women in moroccan cities speak advanced french?

2) do they learn it in elementary school?

3) do they usually speak it at home with their families?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes, those who are well educated speak good French,

especially younger women.

They take French at first year at elementary school, unless they go to a private school where they start at kindergarten.

Some families would speak a mixture of French and Arabic if the parents are professional with a good education.. I often hear young women speaking French on public transport or in cafes and restaurants. You tend to hear this more in cities like Fes, Meknes,Casablanca, Rabat, Marrakech and Tangier, ten you would in smaller cities.

Any woman who works for the government or in a bank speaks French.

Moroccans have an excellent ear for language and they speak very good French with excellent accents.

While the French neglected Moroccan education when they ruled Morocco, The present King is very interested in improving standards and languages are now part of all curricula, with English making its mark, too.

Source(s): I live and teach in Morocco
  • 8 years ago

Most women in the Big Cities (Casablanca, Rabat, Marrakesh, Fes) do speak french fluently.. in the North it's Spanish (Tangier, Tetouan, Chefchaouen, El Hoceima...) but it really depends of the educational level.

"According to the 2004 census, 2.19 million Moroccans spoke a foreign language other than French.

English, while far behind French in terms of number of speakers, is the first foreign language of choice, since French is obligatory, among educated youth and professionals. As a result of national education reforms entering into force in late 2002, English is taught in most public schools from the fourth grade on. French is still taught nationally from the earliest grades." From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For myself.. I speak arabic & french at home.. french & english for work and social life!

Source(s): I didn't choose to be Moroccan.. I just got lucky :)
  • 8 years ago

yes, they speak french flawlessly, and they do learn int in elementary and a lot of children can and will be fluent in french long before they even start it because of all the french tv shows they watch and all the french books that are read to them. but as for speaking it with their families? first of all they usually speak arabic, and when they do speak it a lot of french is mixed in and also some spanish. But it also depends on where you go in morocco, and who we're talking about. It's not uncommon for a child to speak 3-4 languages some with certain family members and some languages they speak mostly with friends. So on a day to day basis they will speak french but only mixed in with arabic, and they will speak ONLY french in school a lot of tomes and french or english with foreigners since they are basically fluent in both tongues. from quite a young age.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.