? asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 8 years ago

What is the transcription of Japanese sounds of the language into English without actual translation called?

The best example I can give you is names or watching anime.

A name for example, would be transcribed into English as Tsubomi or Jun or whatever, despite that not being how the name should actually be written in the native tongue. It's just an interpretation of the sounds.

The only reason why names are a bad example though is because names usually don't mean anything, where as other words may.

So, for my better example, I'm referring to anime. Sorry for non-anime fans haha. Usually in the opening sequences, there are songs, and with the songs are usually the Japanese words written in hirigana, katakana, kanji, the English translation, and then this sort of transcription of the sounds of the Japanese words (Something like "yume" for example). Rather than telling you the meaning, they just tell you the pronunciation, which I find to be used especially with new learners of languages involving the more "symbol"-looking (for lack of a better word) letters/sound combinations.

My question though, is what is this called? When you write not the meaning, but rather what the "symbols" should sound like?

Pardon my ignorance as well. Thank you!

Favorite Answer

In the exact case of Japanese, this is called roomaji/ローマ字 (often written romaji in English). More generally it can be called romanisation.

there are assorted ameliorations. Hebrew is a wealthy language and lends its self to distinctive opportunities while being translated. extra to that situation is the cultural distinction between Judaism and Christianity and you're specific to have any communication on the challenge get emotional very immediately. in the Latin translation efforts have been made to apply as most of the Aramaic Targum translation as conceivable. Jesus spoke Aramaic and it replaced into maximum elementary language in the Israel at that factor. in view that Jesus’ references to the Jewish scriptures have been on the whole from the Targum translation it made experience to apply them as a reference in translating from the Septuagint (Greek). the 1st translations have been made making use of the Targums the Septuagint and the unique Hebrew. The Targum translation is the place I understand the extra youthful women persons/virgin interpretation got here from. All Jewish translations come immediately from the Hebrew textual content. the challenge of the version between Christian and Jewish variations isn't as a lot of a controversy with Christians in view that we've countless translations of the OT obtainable. Varity is the norm for us, it is not any longer the comparable for Jews. the ameliorations interior Christian translations are no longer any extra beneficial that the ameliorations between any of the them and the Tanakh. because of this your maximum suitable source on the ameliorations may be Jewish sources. the challenge is that Jewish sources are no longer interested in why there are ameliorations or how they got here approximately. All efforts are directed in the direction of proving that Christianity is a pretend faith.

Other Yahoo Answerers are correct. General Transcription Services are used for solving such complex problems in Professional Arenas. So you don't need to feel ignorant as Yahoo Answers is the place where you can learn and ask about a lot of things as it's a forum for Knowledge Sharing.

Source(s): http://yahoo.com/ rpjtechnology.com/General-Transcription

In Japanese, it is called Romaji. See this article: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanization_of_Jap...

Hope I could help :)