Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 8 years ago

Marijuana and Antidepressants?

I have been struggling with marijuana addiction (for lack of a better term) for years. I have stopped for extended periods of time, but always seem to go back to it. I will start back as a casual user and that inevitably results in eventual daily, chronic use. I have noticed that during my periods of abstinence, I achieve a lot and am very productive and active. I started back smoking about 8 months ago and have noticed that I seem to be spiraling into a deep depression that is slowly over-powering me. I'm on 2 antidepressants and I also attend weekly therapy lessons, but I am still depressed nonetheless. I cannot distinguish whether its the marijuana or the fact that I'm lonely that's causing the depression or if I'm lonely because I choose to smoke and be reclusive rather than be active and socialize. Its like I subconsciously want to just sit around and feel sorry for myself rather than take the appropriate actions to remedy the problem. My question is the marijuana usage affecting the mechanism of action that my meds are responsible for? And to what extent? Or is the marijuana just making my depression so intense that it does not stand a chance against the antidepressants?

Favorite Answer

Try quitting for a while and take daily walks in the sunshine. When you are feeling better and still want to smoke, start back slowly at first

Stop smoking marijuana you'll be very happy you did so. You will save extra money, and extra money on that extra food you spend to eat because you had the "munchies", and will be more pro-active also your lungs will develop your stamina will be better. I was 15 when I started smoking for 5 years and stopped now I'm 23. I'm glad I stopped. If I can do it, so can you. Weed makes you look stupid by the way, and you can't get a good job unless you pass a drug test. There's more pros than cons when you quit smoking weed easily. Think about it..

Hello,

That is a great question. Marijuana may cause anxiety and panic after people are smoking marijuana in a single dose and in high dose it may cause confusion, though disorder, and hallucinations.

Very few but It is reported that patients using marijuana while on antidepressants such as SSRI may experience abnormally fast heartbeat, dizziness, anxiety, panic, drowsiness, nausea, or confusion. I definitely would not recommend to smoke marijuana while a person is on antidepressants.