Vicky asked in PetsDogs · 8 years ago

my dog bit my daughter?

He had been sick today so hungry. He was taking food out of the bin. My daughter put her hand in his mouth to remove the bone and he turned and bit her? Should I have him put down. He is a 1 year old lhaso apso, we adopted him when he was 6 months.

I feel you have misunderstood. NO I did not allow! him to take food out of the bin OR let my daughter put her hand in his mouth, please, really!!?? - I wasn't in the room. I heard something going on downstairs and my daughter got to him before I did. I adore this dog, we had him off a friend as they didn't have the time to care for him. He is as daft as a brush and loving to all dogs and people he meets. Its my husband who is ranting and raving about this. I have said all the things that you guys have said to him - and have said she should not have put her hand in his mouth, he's been sick, that is why he turned. No he did not break the skin or hang on to her, he is not vicious. I don't think my husband is going to give in, I am going to have to give him away - I just wanted to check that I wasn't being too soft and whether he should be put down. I am sooo glad you guys have said no. Thanks

Favorite Answer

It was probably just a warning, the dog trying to tell the kid not to take its food. nobody likes it when someone reaches into their mouth to take their food right?

1. have you taken the time to teach your daughter how to treat and behave around the family pet.

2. As with any animal and very young children was there adult supervision taking place. Not adult in an other room doing somthing else, but actively over seeing the interaction between the child and pet( Like there should be and any trainer will tell you. )if this supervision was not present then the fault does not lie with the pet or the child but the adult who did not take there role as guardian of both child and pet very seriously. and that adult should be reprimanded. for lack of judgement.

3. were the dog and child properly introduced and pack hierarchy established. the dog needs to know that it is the lowest on the totem pole you and your wife are the alpha male and female then there are the children then comes the do

• Pat

It doesn't sound like the dog is aggressive; he wasn't feeling well, then he gets a bone out of the 'bin' (garbage bin?) and your daughter tried to grab the bone out of his mouth, he snaps at her without breaking the skin? That's a warning, he wasn't trying to seriously hurt her.

I once had a pup who I got at 4.5 months; about a month later, she found a chicken bone outside when we were walking; I instinctively tried to pull it out of her mouth; and she, just as instinctively, clamped down on her prize; and in her case, she did break the skin on my hand. I didn't even think of getting rid of her, and would not have even if it had been a child of mine who she nipped. What I did do was teach her to let me take food out of her mouth. The only other time she ever did that was when she was old and ill, at 14, when I was having trouble getting a pill down her throat, she clamped down and broke the skin very mildly (no medical attention needed, soap and water and hydrogen peroxide cured it).

Your Lhasa is young enough to be taught to let you or your husband take food out of his mouth. He was not being vicious; if he was vicious, he would have definitely given your daughter a definite puncture wound and maybe worse.

If you accept your husband's decision and get rid of this poor dog, please do not bring any other dogs into your home. Sometimes dogs nip, or snap; and it does not necessarily mean they are menaces to you or your children. If your husband is so intolerant that he would require a dog who has snapped because its food was grabbed at while he had it in its mouth (the dog's viewpoint), he really should not be in a position of authority over other dogs; I'm sorry, but that's my opinion. Some people hate and fear dogs; or at least cannot and will not understand them.

Don't surrender the dog to a shelter; if they learn that you are giving him up because he snapped at your child, they might euthanize him.

If your child is young, she should not be left alone with any dog.

Good luck; I hope you can persuade your husband to let you keep the dog. If he does; take the dog to Obedience Class; also teach him to let you take food out of his mouth without protest; and keep the 'bin' out of his reach.

And I don't think you are being too soft, not at all.

I hope you aren't serious.. any dog, I don't care HOW gentle and kind it is, when stressed, will bite. You allowed your dog to get bones from a bin, and you then allowed your daughter to put her hand in it's mouth.. you can make all the excuses in the world, a dog is not capable of thinking 'oh, hang on, I mustn't bite this competitor for my food, even though I'm starving''... did it break the skin, did it latch onto your daughters hand and refuse to let go? No, i didn't think so. So, you are looking for excuses to get rid of the dog, and you've found one. Give it to a rescue centre, but don't kill it because you can't care for it properly

No, you should not have him put down. Did you adopt him from a shelter? I would suggest taking him to a trainer so he can overcome his dominance issues. If this isn't an option for you, please rehome to someone that has experience dealing with these types of dogs. This is something that can be fixed so there is no need for him to be killed. If he was sick it may be a one time thing, and even possible that he bit out of fear. I would suggest practicing taking things from him such as toys, or moving his food bowl while he is eating (carefully) so that he gets used to having things removed from him.

No! He didn't bite your daughter out of spite, he only bit her because she was taking away his food, and as he is unwell and very hungry at the moment he will be rather possessive of his food and you might want to be careful anyway when feeding him. Your daughter shouldn't put her hand in a dogs mouth anyway, especially when it is very hungry and unwell.

Source(s): Me

No you shouldn't put him down. You have to teach your children not to grab food out of animals mouths. Most animals don't even like when you go near their food. And you also said he was sick.. take him to the vet!

keep him

He has obviously not been trained properly when you give him food.

Tell him to wait before you give him food.

Your daughter wasn't doing anything bad nether the dog.

• Tee

This is the childs fault. Your child should have known better that to put her hand it the dog's mouth!! Actually, since she didn't know better, I will assign fault to her parents!

Nothing wrong with the dog.....something wrng with parents.

DO NOT HAVE THIS DOG EUTHED!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree, try putting your hand around his food when he eats and pet him while he eats. That usually will help.