In time will I learn to stop being unintentionally rude & cruel if enough ppl confront me about it?

I am really oblivious when it comes to certain social things which are considered normal. I get these really bad airhead moments and dont realize what I did was wrong until I am told or later when I think about how my day went. Sometimes I will pause and go "hmm..that wasnt right.."

Ex: Sometimes I will interrupt the teacher to ask a question or I wont use peoples names because I forgot their name or just forgot to say it. Sometimes I will unintentionally sound sarcastic or cold.

I wasnt aware of any of this until it was pointed out to me.

Favorite Answer

This is easy. All you have to do is think. Be conscience of what you are about to say BEFORE you say it. By "checking" yourself or your words, you are able to filter what is said or done and head off any socially unacceptable behavior before it happens.

Stop being so spontaneous with your words and take pause with what you are about to say. Soon enough it will become a habit and you will refrain from embarrassing yourself in the future.

This is just a bad habit that needs to be stopped, that's all.

I used to say "um" a lot, without even realizing it, until my sister brought it up. I was totally and completely unaware of that habit. Now I notice it and realize when I am about to say "um" and stop myself. It is all about being aware of what you are doing and being in the moment.

I have the same problem, but I have a medical condition that causes it not Tourette's, some cases of ms cause abrupt and irrational behaviour or just saying things without thinking, but most people mature and grow out of it as it where now along as I didn't scare you, I suggest counting to ten in your head before you say anything and have a think it can help me a lot because I can be extremely inappropriate without even realising, i can sound cold or grumpy, sarcasm is my thing so I'm not worried about that in most normal occasions, but try counting to ten it might help :)

Source(s): Personal experience.

Please consider that you are fine just the way you are and maybe people around you are being critical.

But, if you feel you might be a little bit abrasive you can always change. It's just good manners not to interrupt and manners, friendliness and social skills can all be developed. They're learned skills, none of us are born with them.

Just try to be kind and think before you speak. Patience is hard for me too.

If you care enough, you will learn to act with courtesy and refinement, obeying the rules of etiquette. If you do not care about others, you wont. It may not be a priority to you.