Jona asked in HealthDental · 8 years ago

Should I brush my teeth after every meal?

I was watching That's So Raven (on YouTube) and one of the episodes "Numb & Number", suggests that her dentist told her to brush her teeth every meal. I thought you should only brush your teeth two times a day: when you wake up and right before you go to bed. I've had my shared worries and I don't want to go to the dentist and them telling me that I have cavities and/or other problems related to my teeth. I use the Crest Gum Protection toothpaste (which I was advised to stop using as it causes sensitivity), Crest Pro Health mouthwash and I use the toothpick-version of flossing. So my question is, should I brush my teeth after every meal? what could I do to keep my teeth white (without using white strips and other whiting tools that causes sensitivity). Thanks

• Kai
    Favorite Answer

It takes 24 hours for the bacteria that damage your teeth and gums to accumulate in large enough amounts to start doing damage. So flossing and brushing twice daily is what is recommended--once to get rid of all the crud you've been putting in your mouth all day, and once in the morning to get rid of that awful morning breath. Brushing too much can be just as bad as not brushing enough since you will wipe out the good bacteria you need to help keep your mouth healthy (which also helps start digesting food), plus it starts to irritate the gums and starts to wear away your enamel. As far as I know, only the things that are made to whiten your teeth, or having your dentist do a teeth whitening treatment, are the only ways to get your teeth white without poisoning yourself.

You should brush your teeth twice a day and floss at least that many times, toothpicks should not take place of floss because it dosnt do as good a job getting between teeth. Use a whitening tooth paste. Avoid soda, coffee, tea and any other food or drinks that could stain your teeth. Also smoking can stain them as well. Hope that helped.

No - it wears the enamel right off your teeth. And presently the talk is that we use far too much toothpaste (which contains abrasives). Stick to once a day - use very little toothpaste. All you need to do is disturb the formation of bacterial colonies in your mouth. You can't destroy the bacteria (and you don't want to), but you can keep them from forming colonies and making a lot of plague.

But go easy on the teeth.

Years of BS advertising from Crest toothpaste has convinced people that they stink if they aren't brushing their teeth constantly. But you really don't want to cut the enamel off your teeth!

I brush and floss after every meal, as well as when I wake up and before bed. Always use a soft toothbrush and it will not be a problem. Getting sugar and other substances off of your teeth soon after eating is a good thing.

Source(s): Work & personal experience

It is normal to do it twice a day. After every meal, for white teeth, fine. But your teeth will be pretty white and very healthy with only 2, if you do after every meal. Super white, but still, it may just make your gums raw, if I were you, I wouldn't. Also OCD can appear from obsessing over things like this.

2 to 3 times a day

Source(s): Dentist

You should brush and floss after every big meal or a sugary snack. Bacteria from food builds up in your mouth and could cause acne. Flossing is esp important because bacteria love big chunks of food. However, brush lightly and gently. Also brush your tongue where food particles also get trapped.

No, you only have to brush them twice a day and perhaps just before an evening out, if you want to be fresh.

You should not clean after cola or orange juice because it could ruin your enamel, so after a meal is probably not a good idea.

You only need to brush your teeth twice a day and youre supposed to floss once a day.

You don't have to brush your teeth after every meal. That just makes your teeth really clean without plaque on them. Just continue what your doing.

Source(s): My uncle is a dentist