How often do you ponder the idea that life is ultimately pointless?

And how do you get over this feeling?

Bonus Question: Can philosophy convert a "supposedly meaningless" life into a meaningful one? How?

Wow, are you usually ***.... like this? I just asked a question, why is your response so rude?

Favorite Answer

Once in a while but I never really try to get over it. You see, to see life as ultimately pointless can be viewed in two different ways. The first, in a depressing life has no meaning kind of way. Or, the second way. Life as ultimately pointless means I can do what ever I desire. I can do what ever makes me happy; achieve anything, because after all, life is pointless. I might as well have a blast. Do all that I can. So, how often do I ponder the idea that life is pointless, well, just about every time that I need a little encouragement to conquer a great feat. This way I know I have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

• K. B.

I ponder it every day. However, I still enjoy the life I have and the things in it that give me joy. They're ultimately pointless and meaningless, but that doesn't make them less fun. I am at peace with the idea that when I die my life won't have meant much in the cosmic sense, because I don't need it to. I intend to leave it in a better state than I found it, or at very least not harmed because of it; any meaning beyond that will be lost to time eventually anyway.

"Meaningful" is such a loaded word. The definition changes constantly depending on who and when you ask it. There is a fully developed philosophy for nearly every definition. Perhaps you simply haven't yet found the one that fits your world view. The "How" part of your question requires knowing far more about your personal beliefs and preconceptions; but nearly every philosophy grapples with the question of "why are we here" in a satisfying way.

What you do for others makes your life valuable. Philosophy can not convert a supposedly meaningless life into a meaningful one. Jesus Christ will.

Not very often..I've been lucky..On your Bonus Question..travel as much as you can, it opens your thinking processes to new levels. When you see all the different lives that people all over the world live, it enriches your experiences and enables you to undergo a transition in your thinking that allows you a much better chance to have a meaningful and productive life

G

The difference between pointless, or not, is awareness, and decision.

As you see, people deal with this uncomfortable reality in different ways.

One choice to be made is to decide to maximize the value created with ones life.

How to do that is also a matter of considerable discussion.

My choice is clear.

gshpower.wordpress.com

What the hell is an 'oxygenated everyday fluke'? on condition that people are themselves something of a 'fluke' as with something evolutionary, possibly 'human understanding' may be additionally. As for whether 'understanding' greater could be a needed eventuality of evolution, that entirely relies upon on the type you define 'understanding'. as far as I see it, 'human understanding' is merely a fashion we decide for to describe area of ways the human irritating equipment methods tips.

It's pointless in that we probably don't contribute to some world goal or goal of god's. But it's not without meaning if someone loves us or we do interesting things.

Maybe your life is pointless, but mine certainly isn't....and never was. It must be awful to be so aimless, pointless and meaningless. (Your description, not mine.) What do you do just sit there counting your toes all day? Why aren't you bringing meaning to your life? Or are you just a parasite?

• Jesere

I know Life is NOT pointless.