Have you ever experienced a hurricane or earthquake?

Just want to say to any Americans in the path of Hurricane Sandy, keep safe and I wish you all the best from England.

@Saira, yeah it was removed though - Just got back from an early morning run here and saw the news of evacuations so thought I'd re-post for our American friends across the great pond wishing them well.

Favorite Answer

Sure. There was Hurricane Irene last year, and while some of my friends' houses got flooded, the only damage done to my house was that some of the siding came off. I think the media blew that one way out of proportion; I could have sat outside my house and watched everything unfold and returned unharmed.

There was an earthquake I experienced on the way to the orthodontist's office either earlier this year or late last year; it wasn't serious, but I felt the car moving in a way it shouldn't have been, and when my dad and I returned home my mom and brother said the furniture in the house had been shaking.

Right now I'm in the middle of the NYC part of Hurricane Sandy, though it's 3:00 in the morning here so I haven't gone outside to check how everything is yet. Obama signed the emergency declaration for NYC yesterday, and parts of Manhattan and Queens have been evacuated due to safety precautions. Schools are closed for the next day or two, and all forms of public transportation have been suspended until Tuesday, at least.

My house hasn't come flying up into midair yet, and I haven't lost power yet, either, so all's good here in Staten Island, at least right now. Thanks for your safety wishes!

-- Rosie ♥

• Hurricane...not directly. Irene came up the coast not far away last year, but my area wasn't really affected by it much and it did not come over my area. I've seen a strong tropical storm though, probably not too far under Sandy's speed, so that is the closest I've seen.

Have experienced two earthquakes.. in 1984 when I was 5, and again last year. Both fairly minor though.

And actually last summer I saw lightning just up the road from me, a bit too close for comfort, while I was outside... few days later woke up to the earthquake, few days after that it was the hurricane coming up the coast. Heck after that I was wondering what could be next..lol

I've never experienced a hurricane, but I've experienced several earthquakes. They were large earthquakes, but they were very far underground, and quite a lengthy distance away from where I live. I've also experienced 10 years of drought, which is always fun! :P

All the best to the American folk!

- Ella :)

Source(s): A Melbournian (Australia)
  • Apple

Earthquake

• Blah

I think I went through an earthquake back when I was in Kindergarten... but I don't remember it.

And I'm going through Sandy right now.

• yes, the hurricane in the bed was a category 5 this time!

South Florida is where is live so take a guess X)

• Devan

lots and lots of hurricanes,anything under category 3 wont do sh!t btw

Of course, I'm from California.

earthquake thrice( mild tremors,not major earthquakes)