iowa state university vs university of iowa?

I just want to know in your opinion which one you think is better. since i applied to both i just want to weigh my options. Thanks!

lol @ YaGo i have friends that go there and they hate it...soo no thanks

• dc87
    Favorite Answer

Well, it depends on what you're interested in and the type of environment you'd like to live in.

Some of this has been already mentioned, like that Iowa has better rankings overall. I'd say if you're interested in creative things or the humanities or even like pre-med or pre-law, Iowa's better. If you are more interested in something like engineering or agriculture sciences or fashion, then Iowa State is better. As far as the towns, Iowa City seems to have a more vibrant culture. Especially if you're interested in a party scene at all, Iowa is the way to go since they're often ranked pretty high as a party school. Ames seems a little less exciting in my opinion, but depending on what you're looking for, maybe that's a good thing.

According to the USNews College/University Rankings,

University of Iowa is ranked #72 overall in National Universities

Iowa State is ranked #101 overall in National Universities

I would choose iowa state university simply because it is more oriented towards science and technology. It is also more student oriented with lots of clubs and diversity. It is also a land grant and space grant school so if you are interested in space or agriculture there is a large variety of opportunity there for you.

Also rankings mean something but not everything if you stick to looking at rankings in your decision you could overlook good colleges so go for it.

Source(s): dream school...I may want to transfer there in the future.
  • gamber

you should basically bypass to ISU because it appears like you want it extra. you should word to the MFA software at Iowa in a while. Journalism isn't starting to be or something, yet human beings nonetheless favor it to save up with modern-day events that they couldn't witness themselves. someone has to do the reporting/writing. that's why I dont see journalism going bye bye each and each and every time quickly. I assure you that if it werent for newshounds/journalists, human beings doesn't comprehend whats occurring outdoors of what they see. Plus, even with if you're actually not helpful in searching a journalism appropriate interest, you should nonetheless have the learning to paintings contained in the corporate international (perhaps doing something like writing press releases or operating in public kinfolk)