The Mathematics of Quantum Physics?

Hi,

I am looking for a book that will nicely explain the maths behind Quantum Physics.

I have studied maths in university so will be able to handle it hopefully.

Thanks

• chwie
    Favorite Answer

If you want to have an introduction to quantum physics I agree that Linear Algebra, Differential Equations and Multi-Variable Calculus are enough. You asked for a book that present the math behind quantum mechanics in a formal way, well in that case you need a lot of math background and some books that can be helpful are:

Mathematical Foundation of Quantum Mechanics by von Neumann ( Is really old)

Introduction to Hilbert Space with app. by Debnath and Minusinski (This is more about Hilbert space not quantum mechanics.)

A Course in Modern Mathematical Physics by Szekeres (This book is like a summarize of many math concepts used in physics and each chapter has good reference if you want to learn more. It discuss briefly Distribution Theory, Topology, Linear Algebra, Group Theory and Hilbert Spaces. Also differential Geometry and Measure Theory.)

Also I will recommend you to find a good book in distribution theory which also is important for quantum mechanics. Another important subject is Lie Groups and Lie Algebras. I don't know a good book for mathematicians, for physicist the book of Gilmore is good.

Now if you want a book of quantum mechanics (not the math behind of quantum mechanics) that is accessible to mathematicians in my experience the book of Sakurai works. At least mathematicians said that is more accessible than the others books.

• 5 years agoReport

This is better explained on my site with videos and all, please go there, because there are things you haven't question yourself, you are going to discover very interesting things:
      https://plus.google.com/118087348386277272378/posts/6p6yUVWnxd3

This could change your life

• Coffin

As a prerequisite, you should know multivariable calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra. You should also be comfortable working with complex numbers. After that, there's not much math that's specific to introductory quantum mechanics. You'll need to learn about Hilbert space and Dirac notation, but mostly how to apply linear algebra concepts to the physics.

Griffiths' "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" devotes a whole chapter to the mathematical formalism as well as an appendix to linear algebra concepts that you'll need. Zettili's "Quantum Mechanics: Concepts and Applications" is also good in this respect and, further, it contains many worked examples. I've found McMahon's "Quantum Mechanics Demystified" to be quite accessible as well, though it has quite a few typos.

The most fundamental and logically consistant book on the math of quantum is by one of the early contributers and giants in the field.

It is "Quantum Mechanics" by P.A.M. Dirac.

Be warned however, unless you're unusually gifted in Math and already know some Quantum theory this is a challenging text. It is not for the beginner, but what a beautiful treatise.